how to prime when using only one fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madz1980

Reaction score
Hi,

How can I add my sugar priming in the wort before bottling if I only have one fermenter? Without mixing the yeast cake? Should I put the dextrose solution right in each bottle? If yes, what quantity for a 330ml bottle and what concentration for the solution? Is there another way?

Thanks,

MA

I've heard that 1/4 a teaspoon in each 12 Oz bottle is good, though I have never actually tried that.

If you don't have a bottling bucket you're going to want to prime in each bottle individually. There's no way you can prime and not mix up a bunch of the trub.

You really should get a proper bottling bucket, it'll help your beer to be the best it can be by leaving 99% of the stuff you dont' want to drink behind.

How are you planning to bottle from your fermenter do you have a spigot on there?

Search for Domino sugar cubes. I've been using these on the past few batches; 1 per 12oz bottle, 2 per 22oz bottle works really well. I have a bottling bucket but this is easier, and reduces chances of oxidation.

Also, you could cold crash the beer, add the priming sugar and mix very gently, and let it sit for 12 hours or so to let the sugar evenly distribute in the beer and to let and stirred trub to settle back down. In this time, the cold yeast will eat very little of the sugar, leaving plenty to bottle prime. However this is just a theory.

Ok, I'll ask my retailer for a bottling bucket ;-P Thanks for good answers guys :)

should be able to get a bottling bucket for less than 10 bucks. cheaper if you just get a 5 gallon bucket from HD.

Ok, I'll ask my retailer for a bottling bucket ;-P Thanks for good answers guys :)

Go to your local super market if they decorate cakes. A frosting bucket may be free or just a dollar. Most of the frosting buckets I picked up have a removable O-ring seal. Cleaning will remove all frosting odor. Just need to drill for the spigot. Mark the hole to be drilled from the inside using the over sized flanged nut for a guide.

I followed your advices guys and got a bucket with a spigot ;-) I'll try it tonight! :)

Thanks to all of you

Back