How to order a beer at a National chain restaurant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I'm lucky that every chain around me carries Great Lakes. And when i don't go to chains i have a lengthy craft selection.

Dang, after reading all your posts it makes me glad that I live in a micro-brewing haven. It's pretty rare that any restaurant I go to doesn't have at least some decent micro brews, if not very local craft brew stuff. Crap, even my tiny little town of 22,000 people has its own micro brewery. About the only time I can't get a decent brew is if I go to a Mexican place, and then I'm ordering a Cadillac anyway.

The chains we go out to I just ask what is local and seasonal. Some of the servers have a good sense of humor and ask how local do I want; Lagunitas, Sierra Nevada or Sam Adams?

While the hostess seats the family, I excuse myself to the bar to peruse the taps. Nine times out of ten, the wait staff has no idea what is on tap. Their manager made them write it down, but they have no idea. Saves headaches at the table. More than once, I've informed the wait staff what they do or don't have on tap.

I always do the same

How to order beer at a chain restaurant:

1. Be Polite and ask for a tap list if you can't visually see the taps.

2. If the answer is "BMC" then either order it politely and suck it up or don't order it and have something else (being polite when you order it).

3. Be polite.

4. Realize you went to a chain restaurant and deal, politely, with the reality of that. Don't expect everyone to be a craft beer expert just because you are.

5. Leave the server a nice tip regardless of their beer knowledge.

If we all followed three rules then the term "beer snob" might slowly disappear from mainstream vocabulary.

How to order a beer at a National chain restaurant

You all know the drill.

"Hello, what beers do you have on tap?"
"We, have Bud Light, Coors Light, Bud Ice, ..... "

Next restaurant. Lets try a different approach.

"Hello, besides Budweiser, Miller, or Coors, what do you have on tap?"
"We have Shock Top, and Blue Moon."

"Thank you, I'll have a Gin and Tonic."

most smart people will check out the taps at the bar, unlike you.
and your question on "what beers.........." is very immature.
Be a man and know "where you are going", before you ask stupid questions.

most smart people will check out the taps at the bar, unlike you.
and your question on "what beers.........." is very immature.
Be a man and know "where you are going", before you ask stupid questions.

Question to all... are people generally this rude in the HomeBrewTalk forums? Because I hadn't really seen it up until now.

Question to all... are people generally this rude in the HomeBrewTalk forums? Because I hadn't really seen it up until now.

↓↓↓ what this guy said

Mostly? No.. most people here are great conversation and willing to share knowledge. However, it's still the internet, so take it for what it's worth.

This may be easy for me to say.. but regardless of the resturant and location, if I were a server I would know the beers and wines in and out because it seems like an easy way to make money. When people are at resturants, you can almost guarantee they will eat. But, will they drink? Maybe if you can sell them on it.

If people are turned off by a lack of knowledge, or just simply can't order based on the description of the drinks you have provided (beer list) then they aren't going to drink. When people don't drink, their bill is not as high as if they did drink. And since people generally tip a percentage of the total bill... It seems like it would be in the server's best interest. Am I wrong here?

These thoughts come from when I was at a "local chain" and the menu said to ask about the local beers and the waitress told me that it was an IPA. I asked what the name of the brewery was and she said... "IPA".

"OK. I'll take one."

+1 to the above. Once time I went a pool bar(you know the place, crappy over priced snack food and music loud enough to send you into a coma, not my first choice) and asked what they had for ales (here in Canada the beer selection is 90% lager) and she just looked at me like a deer in the headlights and said something to the line of "well I don't know about ales but for beer we've got..." and proceeded to list off their beer menu :smack: . I ordered a Shocktop since it is among the best you are lucky to get out here unless they've got Mill St. brews on tap.

Now I wouldn't expect someone to know WHAT the difference is but they ought to know as someone working in a bar that lager/ale=beer or am I asking too much? That and a clean glass and an orange that didn't smell of must would have been nice, I didn't order a second.

Walking into a chain restaurant (this is a generalization) and having high expectations of the beer list and the server's knowledge of all of their beers is a bit like buying a 12 pack of Budweiser and being surprised it doesn't taste as good as Heady Topper (or insert your favorite beer here and let's forgo all of the anti-Heady Topper comments). Just know where you are going and set your expectations to meet that. And be polite.

This may be easy for me to say.. but regardless of the resturant and location, if I were a server I would know the beers and wines in and out because it seems like an easy way to make money. When people are at resturants, you can almost guarantee they will eat. But, will they drink? Maybe if you can sell them on it.

If people are turned off by a lack of knowledge, or just simply can't order based on the description of the drinks you have provided (beer list) then they aren't going to drink. When people don't drink, their bill is not as high as if they did drink. And since people generally tip a percentage of the total bill... It seems like it would be in the server's best interest. Am I wrong here?

While all of what you say is true, as in most jobs, there are two types of servers; those that know how to do their job well and those that know enough not to get fired. You would think that working for tips (I made $2.13/hour in wages when I waited and bartended) would motive more people into the former category but it does not seem to be the case.

As it was in walking distance to my house and I only owned motorcycles the whole time was in college, I worked a large chain for two years. They had a surprisingly complete bottled beer selection for Oklahoma in the 1990's. I knew them all and all wines on the wine list. I also knew the deserts, appetizers and all the $1 adder's to main courses that sold well.

I averaged $14/customer including an equal mix of lunches, weekend dinners and weekday dinners. The restaurant average was $9. 3/4's of the servers averaged below 11 dollars.

An argument can be made for turning tables verses fluffing checks but in the end, outside of deserts, there is no reason you can't do both. FYI, in 1994 I averaged $14/hours with tips at that place...better than most 9-5's in OK at the time. Paid for college in cash.

I don't have high expectations in those places, but one thing I hate is when I ask for a beer menu, and they say, "We have everything!"

Oh, boy. I don't want to play 20 questions. And, I don't know if 'everything' is 100% BMC or if 'everything' includes local breweries that may have some good entries. Depending on what state I'm in, I'll say, "Well, do you have St Arnold's?" (big TX brewery) If they don't have the largest brewery in the state's beer on tap or in bottles, there is no point in continuing.

Yet, the server said, "No. But we have everything else!"

My reply, if it's got a nice looking bar (ala Applebees), "Beefeeter and tonic", please.

Angels sing when I find Saint Arnold on tap. Most decent chains here at least have Shiner, but they charge import/premium prices for it.

Angels sing when I find Saint Arnold on tap. Most decent chains here at least have Shiner, but they charge import/premium prices for it.

I don't even ask down here- because Shiner Bock is all I see. So we mostly buy bottles at HEB, unless we go to Specs, and drink some of the homebrew I brought with me. Truly, we do get better beer at home!

My town is finally getting an HEB. Well, the town 5 miles down the road is. My wife is stoked for produce, I'm stoked for the beer aisle.

Walking into a chain restaurant (this is a generalization) and having high expectations of the beer list and the server's knowledge of all of their beers is a bit like buying a 12 pack of Budweiser and being surprised it doesn't taste as good as Heady Topper (or insert your favorite beer here and let's forgo all of the anti-Heady Topper comments). Just know where you are going and set your expectations to meet that. And be polite.

I was polite and she was nice enough, I listened to her explain what they had and made my choice without getting snarky; for all I know it was her first day on the job so I give people the benefit of the doubt.

Again, the place was not of my choosing but I see it as if I asked what kind of red/white wine they had. IPretty sure a server anywhere could rattle off the few different styles they keep in house or could at least recognise the difference between the two; so I would have figured a server could do the same thing with beer which more often than not is the case I've run into when you go to smaller places. I wouldn't say I was having high expectations of their knowledge, It isn't like I was asking for tasting notes or anything, I only do that in a proper brewpub where the staff actually knows or knows who to ask.

Pffft....Beer snobs. When I go out with my friends for some burgers and haha's. You damn right I'm ordering a bud, coors, PBR, or whatever other see-through piss I can get my hands on. If I want a good beer with a good meal, I'll eat at home.

I avoid chains like the plague. I frequent places that have beer menus like this...

Awesome list - but what's with the fancy plastic cover? The places I haunt have grimy xeroxed beer lists all wrinkled and folded (but with 52 taps!)

Pffft....Beer snobs. When I go out with my friends for some burgers and haha's. You damn right I'm ordering a bud, coors, PBR, or whatever other see-through piss I can get my hands on. If I want a good beer with a good meal, I'll eat at home.

Eh, I'm not super concerned, I just like trying new things so when I hear something on the beer menu I've not had before I'll give it a shot. If all I can get is a BMC beer I'm not gonna cry over it, still better then Pepsi/Coke.

Best way to avoid the problem is don't go to the chain restaurants. The food is usually not that great ether so why bother.
23.gif
29.gif

I'm a beer snob and don't apologize for it. I've been saying life is too short to drink cheap beer long before it started showing up on tee shirts. I always ask "What craft beers do you have on draft or in a bottle?". I'd rather order coffee, tea or a soft drink than consume some watery swill from the mega brewers. I have noted with great pleasure that more and more local restaurants are adding locally brewed craft beers on tap.

I'm a beer snob and don't apologize for it. I've been saying life is too short to drink cheap beer long before it started showing up on tee shirts. I always ask "What craft beers do you have on draft or in a bottle?". I'd rather order coffee, tea or a soft drink than consume some watery swill from the mega brewers. I have noted with great pleasure that more and more local restaurants are adding locally brewed craft beers on tap.

This isn't a knock on your post just something it reminded me of. The line, "life is too short to drink cheap beer." Really makes me cringe. I had that said to me one time by a guy who saw me drinking a Miller Lite. Asks how I can drink that **** and spots off the line. Then proceeded to hold up his bottle of Carona with pride.

Beer snobs are one thing, but that, IMO, is a whole new level.

I was drinking the miller lite because it was hot out and had my daughter's softball game to go to right after.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

A beer snob is someone who loves great beer and refrains from drinking cheap swill.

A jerk is someone who goes around and sticks their opinion in everyone's face whether they ask for their opinion or not.

I am a beer snob.

I'm not obnoxious about it- but since I don't consume sugar or artificial sweeteners, I don't drink soda at all. I will drink water, a mixed drink without sugar (like a Beefeater martini, or a Beefeater & club soda), or even unsweetened ice tea. But I sure do prefer beer!

It's not that I'm hating on BMC- it's just that I don't want to spend my money on something I won't enjoy. I really would rather have water than something I don't like very much. I recognize that many others enjoy BMC for whatever the reason- hot days, tastes good with pizza, etc. I just don't.

Fortunately around here there is generally at least Yuengling and Sam Adams (generally BL and at a seasonal) along side the usual 3-4 "big ones".

That said I basically never eat at chain places, other than I think for a work function or two. The local variety where I am is huge and generally good to excellent. Plenty of good regional or small national places to that often have pretty good bottle variety even if their taps are relatively limited to the big 3 and maybe just Yuengling and Sam Adams.

I actually ate at a whole in the wall Pizza joint in Orlando a few weeks ago and was suprised they had Yuengling that far south. Dumpy place where you had to wonder if anyone washed their hands, but the pizza was really good, really cheap and they had at least something drinkable if not great (which after 10hrs of running around Universal with 3 kids under 7 is all that really matters at that point). Also chairs. Its suprising how much something like a chair can make everything else better :D

Fortunately around here there is generally at least Yuengling and Sam Adams (generally BL and at a seasonal) along side the usual 3-4 "big ones".

That said I basically never eat at chain places, other than I think for a work function or two. The local variety where I am is huge and generally good to excellent. Plenty of good regional or small national places to that often have pretty good bottle variety even if their taps are relatively limited to the big 3 and maybe just Yuengling and Sam Adams.

I actually ate at a whole in the wall Pizza joint in Orlando a few weeks ago and was suprised they had Yuengling that far south. Dumpy place where you had to wonder if anyone washed their hands, but the pizza was really good, really cheap and they had at least something drinkable if not great (which after 10hrs of running around Universal with 3 kids under 7 is all that really matters at that point). Also chairs. Its suprising how much something like a chair can make everything else better :D

Yuengling has a plant in Florida now. I agree. When I first saw this post I was like, "Then don't eat at Applebee's. I avoid places like that like the plague.

Yuengling has a plant in Florida now. I agree. When I first saw this post I was like, "Then don't eat at Applebee's. I avoid places like that like the plague.

There are a lot of reasons why you can end up at an Applebee's, lunch meeting, invitation from friends, are just two that come to mind.

While the hostess seats the family, I excuse myself to the bar to peruse the taps.

Exactly, and I will inform the bartender with my choice with "I will be ordering Named beer from my server." Usually the beer is waiting at the server station by the time the server gets there.

Latest posts

Back