Don't you hate it when... post your story

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobor_8thMan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Don't you hate it when you go to a restaurant/eatery. There is a sign indicating they have "Craft Beer on Tap". You ask, "What are the craft beers?" only to get a reply, "Bud, Coors and Miller". I reply, "Um, no, these are NOT craft beers". Receive blank stare in return.

0 IPAs? Or 0 craft? Never seen 0 IPA, unless it's a BMC dive. IPA is my least favorite style, but I like one from time to time. It'd be lame if it a place had none at all.

Well to be fair around here they'll usually have 2 Hearted but in SE Michigan that's darn near literally as common as BMC. But seriously, lately I can go to one of my favorite places with a multitude of taps and couple IPAs they have on the taplist (except 2 Hearted) are "just blown". The one place we are regulars at, last week had 3-4 Oktoberfest's, a few sours, various fruity things, some ciders, some craft seltzers and some random stuff but only one IPA besides 2 Hearted.

I believe those brewing don't want to take chances. They brew for, what they belive, the public will purchase. Lots of hype about IPAs, and then many taps are only pouring IPAs.

Yeah it's hard to fault them for it. I'd rather the breweries near me stay open, even if it is annoying sometimes.

We have situation here in Manasass where a LARGE brewery (2 Silos) across route 28 absolutely kills things in downtown Manassas. The idiotic power that be wanted to put a new brewery on the other side of route 28 from 2 Silos. Dumb, dumb, and just plain dumb.

If a successful establishment has loaded up on a particular style there's probably a smart reason for that...

Cheers!
Sorry, but I don't agree. They are brewing what they think/believe the public wants.

IMO, if I had the money I'd open an authentic German biergarten. I'd make a killing.

Sorry, but I don't agree. They are brewing what they think/believe the public wants.

What "disagree"? That's actually precisely what I was inferring. And if they are SUCCESSFUL I'd say the public voted with their money, yes?

IMO, if I had the money I'd open an authentic German biergarten. I'd make a killing.

fwiw, pre-Covid Massachusetts was festooned with biergartens, and after fits and starts some are operating today (though not anywhere near as many). Their menus are loaded with pales of all stripes, particularly neipas, but usually include a wheat, a saison, and maybe something dark like a porter, and then maybe a pilsner. If you opened a classic biergarten selling budweiser-ish brews anywhere within reach of an alternative you'd probably have a short run here...

Cheers!

Gotta say you can be most entertaining when you rage against the wind on this topic :D
All of the successful venues up here are heavily pale ale oriented. You would be hard pressed to find anything approaching a german pils...

Rage on...

I don't get out much and when I do it's to the "big city" of Chattanooga,TN about 30 minutes north of me. Mostly what we seem to have here is BMC and IPAs. Sometimes we'll get lucky and have some sort of darker beer, maybe a brown ale or Porter.
I really don't like pale ales, so it annoys me how hard it is to find anything "heavier."

The draft system at my family's "go to" restaurant for birthdays has been non-working for the last two months... and have a bottled beer list that hasn't been updated in over a year. As we are well known customers, I actually offered to try to fix it for them as I am thinking they are down on their luck due to COVID impacting their business. They just kind of chuckle and don't let me even look at it... I really don't want to give up on them, but I feel like everytime we go, there is another let down.

This whole "craft" beer label is nonsense.

So if the server said "yes, our craft beers on tap are all from Founder's Brewery. You'd turn your nose and say "those are NOT craft beers?"

It's not the server's fault for not knowing the difference. I feel bad for anyone sitting at your table with you. How embarrassing...

This whole "craft" beer label is nonsense.

So if the server said "yes, our craft beers on tap are all from Founder's Brewery. You'd turn your nose and say "those are NOT craft beers?"

It's not the server's fault for not knowing the difference. I feel bad for anyone sitting at your table with you. How embarrassing...

Actually, yes. A server SHOULD know the difference between BMC and "Craft Beer."
That being said, the difference is becoming less distinct as BMC buy up craft breweries.

Actually, yes. A server SHOULD know the difference between BMC and "Craft Beer."
That being said, the difference is becoming less distinct as BMC buy up craft breweries.

I disagree. What if said server, not the bartender for clarification, is a 16 your old high school student who doesn't drink beer? Should they still know the difference if they label one a craft and the other not? I don't think the server is obligated to be aware of the minutia of such arbitrary labeling...

Again the "Craft Label" of beer is meaningless. They all start small...

Maybe it's a regional thing, but in the south we don't talk to people that way. An uneducated person is not a dumb one...

I live in the south and have for 40+ years. I would DEFINITELY make sure any server who equates BMC with "craft beer" knows the difference from that point on!

In most states, you aren't ALLOWED to serve alcohol until you are at least 18.

These days, I think out everyone who drinks beer (and that includes teenagers - you know as well as I do that underage drinking DOES happen!) knows the difference between "craft beer" and BMC.

Let's put this thread back on track...

Don't you hate when a fellow homebrewer act's like a pompous know-it-all in public (or on a forum) interjecting his/her every opinion as fact. Expecting everyone to have the same interest or care of such topic...

I live in the south and have for 40+ years. I would DEFINITELY make sure any server who equates BMC with "craft beer" knows the difference from that point on!

Why though?

In most states, you aren't ALLOWED to serve alcohol until you are at least 18.

Didn't say anything about actually serving it. A 16 year old can present you with options. EDIT: 16/18, makes no difference to the basis of the argument.

I believe...

I guess we believe different things, and that's okay. I respect yours. I believe that not everyone cares about this topic, and dare I say that some could care less about being educated on such topic

Since we're nit picking ages here. 12 or 13? Really? Not sure I'd make that claim. Either way carry on...

I shouldn't have to say this, but...the moral of the story, be kind to the people in the service industry. You probably don't know what life has been like for them with all the recent events...

What "disagree"? That's actually precisely what I was inferring. And if they are SUCCESSFUL I'd say the public voted with their money, yes?

fwiw, pre-Covid Massachusetts was festooned with biergartens, and after fits and starts some are operating today (though not anywhere near as many). Their menus are loaded with pales of all stripes, particularly neipas, but usually include a wheat, a saison, and maybe something dark like a porter, and then maybe a pilsner. If you opened a classic biergarten selling budweiser-ish brews anywhere within reach of an alternative you'd probably have a short run here...

Cheers!
Thank you for using "festooned" in a sentence. I always appreciate a wordsmith. Makes life just a little more delightful.
:bravo:

Don't you hate it when you buy grain from a new producer that is stamped "2-row", mill the whole bag, and then find that they use a generic bag that says "2-row" on all their grains, and just have a small tag saying what it actually was? I had wondered why it smelled like Pilsner... FAIL.

Back