How to keep water from freezing in brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heapyjeepy

Reaction score
:smack::smack::smack:

Did you know that water freezes in the winter?! Apparently that minor detail slipped past me this winter when i left water in my system and it froze, breaking/splitting some copper pipes.

I am still working out the kinks in my automated system (valves, pumps, external HERMS) and I'm trying to prevent this from happening again obviously. Ive pitched everything so that the water runs down hill to the drain valve. But my system has a homemade counter flow heat exchanger mounted below the mash tun and is very difficult to empty completely.

I was wondering if Star San or PBW would prevent the residual water inside from freezing. Or if something else would that would be safe to put in my system?

-heapy

Not sure if you can blow the system out with your set up but I use my air compressor to blow the system dry

Sent from the Commune

I am assuming your equipment is in a shed, garage or something that is not temp controlled..I usually dismantle my stand post brew and bring anything that has been involved in water/wort exchange back into my house and store it in a closet or spare room. Keeps this from happening.
If you don't have the space to store inside(where its warm), maybe an electric blanket or thermal wrap over your gear might help or make sure your gear is dry before storing it..
I have seen folks put a thermal wrap around their keggle/brewpot and store their wort chiller and stuff that might contain residual water in the brewpot that is thermally wrapped when they are in colder climates.
Check this thread for some ideas:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/keggle-insulation-keg-koozie-vs-reflectix-pics-301888/

:smack::smack::smack:

Did you know that water freezes in the winter?! Apparently that minor detail slipped past me this winter when i left water in my system and it froze, breaking/splitting some copper pipes.

I am still working out the kinks in my automated system (valves, pumps, external HERMS) and I'm trying to prevent this from happening again obviously. Ive pitched everything so that the water runs down hill to the drain valve. But my system has a homemade counter flow heat exchanger mounted below the mash tun and is very difficult to empty completely.

I was wondering if Star San or PBW would prevent the residual water inside from freezing. Or if something else would that would be safe to put in my system?

-heapy

Mount the counter flow heat exchange so it can be easily removed and take it in the house afterwards.

There is non toxic antifreeze available for RV water systems that would protect your system if you for some reason can't fully drain it.

You might consider blowing the water out of the plumbing with compressed air prior to winter storage.

Pick up plastic gallon jug of cheap vodka, assuming you can reclaim it for reuse

I don't have an air compressor, so I just do it the old fashioned way. I can blow my CFC like a trumpet. Everything else, except the BK is bottom draining. I also blow the water out of the March pumps the same way I do the CFC.

It's rather inelegant, but it works.

I don't know what your setup is like, but I am guessing your chiller is sitting so if you put a stick through the coils, it is parallel to the floor. If you turn it so it is coming out of the floor a lot of the water will drain out with gravity. A little moisture in the lines will not break your pipes, the problem is when you have a pipe full of liquid.

Sounds like the vodka would be the best bet. I'd rather have residual vodka than antifreeze. Even if it's NSF safe. The taste can't be good... I'll have to see where a few liters of bottom shelf will get me. Thanks for the idea.

As far as the system goes, here's a few picks to get an idea.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391962501.724843.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391962522.985680.jpg

Heat exchanger
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391962555.846361.jpg

From the top view of the heat exchanger, the long horizontal pipes at the very bottom cracked about half way. So I cut those out near the crack and put in a union to a new pipe. I also found some brass elbows with drain screws and installed on the left side of the tubes. I pitched the tubes so I can get most of the water out with the drain. These drains will hopefully also help in removing air when I'm initially filling the system (dry pumps don't work well).

Brass elbows
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391962937.981935.jpg

We will see when the weather warms back up to the high 50's here in sunny denver next week!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back