How to keep carbonation when transferring from Keg to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddyp75

Reaction score
So my Oatmeal Stout is finally kegged and carbonation is going well. I've got a few friends with Growlers that are wanting to take some with them to a BYOB concert tonight. I've never tried this (my first time kegging a brew) but I'm assuming that the beer will loose carbonation if I simply transfer it from the keg to growler through the tap.

Any suggestions on how to transfer and keep carbonation?

You can fill the growler from the tap, but you'll probably get a lot of foam. If your going to drink it relatively quickly then no big deal. Most bars just get a piece of hose big enough to squeeze over the tap and use it to fill the growler from the bottom. I use what Revvy suggested, just with a bigger stopper to fit the growler. But in a pinch...just fill it.

Thanks for the post I knew there had to be a way to do it without a beer gun and was hoping I wouldn't have to drive a hour and half back to the nearest homebrew store since I was just there yesterday. Got all the stuff to do it today without another trip.

Back