How to infuse porter (chocolate, peanut butter, coffee, etc.)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbae

Reaction score
I currently have 10 gallons of an extract version of the Founder's Porter clone (Linked here) in primary, ready to go into secondary. I am hoping to infuse half of that in of one-gallon sub-batches and I am curious what some methods are to get the best flavor. Would adding crushed peanuts achieve a peanut butter flavor? How about adding cold brew for coffee? I am also wondering what quantity is recommended for one-gallon batches. If anyone has experience getting the creamy mouthfeel in a lot of porters, that would also help.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to any advice you might have!

I’m sure there’s way more experienced brewers to chime in, but I made a peanut butter stout and used peanut butter powder
7F60FD06-13F0-406B-9744-C56B2E297141.jpeg
and the few times I’ve done a coffee and cream stout I used coffee beans, ground coffee and even threw in some chilled brewed coffee.
id have to check my recipe book when I get home for amounts

For coffee I’ve done a semi cold brew. I always keg. I have a cold brew infuser. I add the coffee grounds then fill the infuser with my beer and let it sit 24 hours, then pour back into the keg.

I’ve never had oxidation problems that I could ever notice. Low hops and pretty strong flavored beer anyway probably over powered any oxidation there. I actually cracked a bottle of it that I bottled off keg that was a year old and it was better than what I remembered it being fresh.

Peanut butter, I’ve heard it’s best to go with extract. I used the linked powered peanut butter, and while I could tell it was there, it wasn’t very pronounced.

I use PB extract. 2 oz per 5 gal seems to work. The bottle says use the whole thing but first time I did half (2 oz) and it came out pretty good. Second time I went 3/4 (3 oz) and it's probably as much as I wanna go...unless you just gotta have a lot of PB flavor....more cowbell...

I use PB extract. 2 oz per 5 gal seems to work. The bottle says use the whole thing but first time I did half (2 oz) and it came out pretty good. Second time I went 3/4 (3 oz) and it's probably as much as I wanna go...unless you just gotta have a lot of PB flavor....more cowbell...
That’s good to hear. I’ve wanted more peanut butter but am scared of extract. I’ve never had any luck with the fruit extracts. It always taste cough syrupy to me. That’s going on the mental notebook
FAE50FC3-4F38-4413-8541-60F70868A272.gif

I think LD Carlson was the brand. I get it off Amazon.

I have a milk chocolate stout recipe with cacao nibs, lactose and oatmeal I've used a couple times. Started adding 2-3 oz of PB extract to it now and get lots of compliments from the crew. It's definitely moved into the regular rotation.

Back