How to hook up a portable CO2 Charger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gresc

Reaction score
Folks, I just bought a portable CO2 charger and it has a threaded connection.
My ball lock has a barbed connector, can someone tell me how to adapt the barb to the thread. It looks like it was meant to fit a Shrader valve.

It's a flare fitting, buying a new QD with a flare fitting would be your best option but you could also get a flare to barb adapter and use a small piece of tubing to connect them. Just make sure the tubing can handle the pressure.

Buy a connector with the flare threads. A word of caution for you. Beware that if you have the connector attached to the charger, but not connected to a keg, do not pull the trigger on the charger. The top of the connector can blow off suddenly and with a lot of force. It could easily take out your eye or otherwise injure you. The chargers come with a warning label regarding the danger, but you know how that goes sometimes. This is one warning you want to take seriously.

OK thanks I just googled the flare connector ;I just didn't know what to call it and found it at Midwest. Thanks for the safety tip; sounds like something to send the Mythbusters.

OK thanks I just googled the flare connector ;I just didn't know what to call it and found it at Midwest. Thanks for the safety tip; sounds like something to send the Mythbusters.

Except it's not a myth at all. One of my good friends got shot in the forehead when the connector came apart. It was a very close call. The top of the connector has a threaded plug that can come out under certain conditions. What can happen is if you have the charger angled up slightly when you pull the trigger it can inject liquid CO2. Depending on the ambient temperature, the liquid CO2 could exert upwards of 600 psi on the connector. They are only designed to handle a max of about 100 psi. Normally, your beverage regulator would limit the pressure. The chargers have no mechanism to limit or regulate the pressure.

This is why I've been holding off on pulling the trigger (tee hee) on this portable charger system.

If and when I bring my kegged beer to a party, there will probably be an uncontrolled crowd so unless I'm hanging by the keg all the time, I'm afraid someone's going to mess with the charging system and get in trouble.

I may just bite the bullet and get a 5 lb tank (I already have a spare regulator). The other option is a paintball co2 charging system but that seems to come with it's own set of issues.

I'm still undecided on which way I'll go...

I use the keg charger at parties regularly. People do mess with it, but I've never had anyone try to remove it from the keg. It's most dangerous when attached to the connector, but the connector is not attached to the keg. When people mess with either the charger or a larger CO2 tank at parties and such, they are usually trying to get a faster pour. This typically results in the serving pressure being too high and foaming problems. It's more of a problem when serving to non-homebrewers. Most brewers are hip to kegging and how to operate kegs and taps.

really, as long as its connected to the keg, its a pretty safe tool.

+1 The big danger is when it's not connected to a keg. The keg chargers really are a convenient way to dispense beer when going mobile. A little caution when using them is necessary, but that's often the case with a lot of equipment.

I vote for either removing the co2 cart or removing the dangerous parts when surrounded by people that don't know any better.

I just bought one a few weeks ago, haven't used it yet but I appreciate finding out about that tip.

Anyone know if these portable co2 chargers run the same risk over 'exploding' from heat as a 5# tank? I have a long car-ride for July 4th and wanted some additional stops where I'd have to leave the co2 tank in the car during the day. I don't want to plan my trip around my co2 tank if I don't have to. Definitely don't feel comfortable with a full size tank.

A tip from personal experience. My first and only experience with mine. When you are ridiculously drunk from pulling your keg in a wagon behind you all night at a music festival and the beer stops flowing from your keg and you dispense more CO2 and it doesn't fix it, this doesn't meant the co2 is empty. If you try to untwist it to replace the cartridge and it doesn' come off easily, STOP. Do not keep trying, The thing WILL break and it will be the next morning until you realize the beer stopped coming out because the keg was empty and you just broke something you paid $30 for and got to use once. :D :mad:

A tip from personal experience. My first and only experience with mine. When you are ridiculously drunk from pulling your keg in a wagon behind you all night at a music festival and the beer stops flowing from your keg and you dispense more CO2 and it doesn't fix it, this doesn't meant the co2 is empty. If you try to untwist it to replace the cartridge and it doesn' come off easily, STOP. Do not keep trying, The thing WILL break and it will be the next morning until you realize the beer stopped coming out because the keg was empty and you just broke something you paid $30 for and got to use once. :D :mad:

Yes, the charger part that hold the cartridge can sometimes be very stubborn. I fixed that problem with some keg lube on the threads. Silicone spray will also work. Been there. I did not break mine, but nearly pulled a tendon trying to get the damned thing apart.

Back