How to get fresher yeast (without harvesting)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richl025

BIAB brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I got skunked by my LHBS - I brought home 2 packs of liquid yeast to make a starter for a lager I wanted to brew.... until I noticed the "born on" date was over 6 months ago...

I just ordered from N.B. and the yeast I got is 2 months old. Better, but obviously decreased vitality still.

Has anyone ever ordered directly from the labs? (Wyeast, White Labs, etc)

Are they pretty responsive & individual customer-centric, or are they mainly geared to sell to the retailers?

2 months is decent...I would not buy 6 month old yeast... or at least make them sell it to you for practically nothing. You should make a starter anyways or just use dry yeast if you're lazy. I used to make a starter with liquid yeast, it used to be a fun build up towards brew day. A couple days before make the starter. But they should probably refund you for 6 month old I think. Not sure about the labs.

The more common the yeast type the fresher it will be. From my LHBS they are usually within 2 months old as long as i'm keeping with seasonal brews and not some very unique strain. Northern brewer takes soo long to ship that it might have been very fresh when ordered but expired when you actually get it, go with MoreBeer. I also overbuild my starter so I have yeast for the next batch (then make another overbuilt starter)

u could always take it back if it's not too far of a drive. i was at the LHBS once and was buying ingredients for a couple brew days and a vial of whitelabs czech pilsner yeast. it was just barely past the best by date and the guy gave it to me for free. He said their agreement with the yeast vendor (white labs) wont allow them to sell yeast past that date.

Back