How to get a sour/acidic aftertaste in IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerdrinker85

Reaction score
My last 18 batchs of AllGrain was all IPA/NEIPA. I'm a hophead and I like it :)
I tried us05, s-04, TYB Vermont Ale, WY1318, wlp001, WY1450 and WY1156.

I am on a journey to find how to produce a sour/ smooth acidic aftertaste from the yeast (I supose) that I got in some IPA/NEIPA. I am not talking about sour beer.
It is really at the END of a taste that you get a sour / smooth acidic taste.

Is anyone already did it without adding brett in secondary for 3+ months?
Is there a YeastBlend that im not aware?

Thanks

Sacc trois can produce some tartness at high temps. It adds a certain brightness or crispness.

I would also suggest sac trois. Imperial yeasts make a good pitch called Citra. I have used acid malt with it as well, it is pretty tolerant.

The Imperial Yeast Citrus mentioned would be a good choice for you.
Citrus cranks out orange and lemon aromas along with some tropical fruit. Use this strain at high temps for big ester production. A wild saccharomyces strain, it will get a bit funky without the worries of a brettanomyces strain.

Temp: 67-80F, 19-27C // Flocculation: low // Attenuation:74-78%

Have you tried souring a small batch and do blending experiments?
That may lead you towards your goal.

It may sound quite odd, but a Witbier strain can also give you a slightly tart sensation on the end of the sip.

The Imperial Yeast Citrus mentioned would be a good choice for you.
Citrus cranks out orange and lemon aromas along with some tropical fruit. Use this strain at high temps for big ester production. A wild saccharomyces strain, it will get a bit funky without the worries of a brettanomyces strain.

Temp: 67-80F, 19-27C // Flocculation: low // Attenuation:74-78%

Gonna try wlp644 then since it's seems to be the same as Imperial a20 Citrus.

do you use acid malts in you grain bill? maybe try and up the percentage? how about a citric acid blend just for flavor in primary?
if you doint want to do those things i would second doing a sour kettle and blending.

do you use acid malts in you grain bill? maybe try and up the percentage? how about a citric acid blend just for flavor in primary?
if you doint want to do those things i would second doing a sour kettle and blending.

I never tried acid malts in any of my beers because I'm always using Lactic Acid to lower my pH.
Since I just want the tartness to be at the end, I suppose that adding acid malts will carry it from the beginning to the end ?

I find that my dark beers have an acrid finish which may be what you are looking for.
You may want to try dark roasted grains, the only downside is that they add A LOT of color.

I'm trying to read between the lines, but I think you're talking about that "Trillium bite" that I get from their beers. I personally don't like it. It's an acidic aftertaste that sort of ruins it for me. I love Trill, but wish he would smooth it out more. Hill Farmstead is the way to go for me. Beautifully smooth, full and hoppy beers all around.

I think part of it is that Trillium's beer are pretty young when released. Plus, I think it's his water treatment and possibly some polyphenols from the butt-load of late and dry hops he uses. I'm not buying that it's coming from the yeast. You're not looking for sour, you're looking for that acidic aftertaste/bite. His finishing pH might be a factor too.

I'm not buying that it's coming from the yeast. You're not looking for sour, you're looking for that acidic aftertaste/bite. His finishing pH might be a factor too.

Indeed, I'm looking for this aftertaste. I always dry hop for 6-7oz in 6 gal batch. I'v never been near this aftertaste and I tried so many hops combo/trio.

Latest posts

Back