How to get a 5% ABV beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dexter_craig

Reaction score
I used 6 lbs of LME and 1 LBS of steeping grains and only came up with 3.7%.
I guess more LME wouls be needed to get a beer with more kick.
Is that right.
Say about 10 lbs. of LME?

Assuming that you're using the same yeast, and that you're not exceeding the alcohol tolerance of the yeast, ABV is directly proportional to fermentable content. Since LME is your sole source of fermentables, just do some simple math:

x lbs / 5% ABV = 6 lbs / 3.7% ABV
x / 5 = 1.622
x = 5 * 1.622
x = 8.11 lbs

I am assuming a 5 gallon batch, are you sure you got 3.7% abv? 6lbs of Dry light malt extract in a 5 gallon batch should give you an Og around 1.55, 6 Lbs of light liquid extract will get you an Og about 1.45. What were your hydrometer readings Og. and Fg. If you want to start with the ABV you are shooting for you need to figure out what you need to add to hit your Og and then hope your yeast ferments down and hits a predicted Fg based on the yeast charachteristics. It is not hard to do, and there is a lot of brewing software that will allow you to figure this stuff out. I just think you need to take out the hydrometer and make sure you are measuring the Og and Fg correctly, but adding some extra malt extract will definately boost the ABV.

Beertools pro is free online at www.beertools.com

Edit: Sorry misread thought he said Dry extract as opposed to liquid

dexter_craig said:
I used 6 lbs of LME and 1 LBS of steeping grains and only came up with 3.7%.
I guess more LME wouls be needed to get a beer with more kick.
Is that right.
Say about 10 lbs. of LME?

Well, you'd get about 4.25% ABV with 6 pounds LME, depending on what yeast you used and what your fg was. 7 pounds LME would get you to 5% ABV.

Yuri_Rage said:
Assuming that you're using the same yeast, and that you're not exceeding the alcohol tolerance of the yeast, ABV is directly proportional to fermentable content. Since LME is your sole source of fermentables, just do some simple math:

x lbs / 5% ABV = 6 lbs / 3.7% ABV
x / 5 = 1.622
x = 5 * 1.622
x = 8.11 lbs
I forgot how to do math like that! You should be on "Are you smarter than a 6th grader". :D

brandona33 said:
I forgot how to do math like that! You should be on "Are you smarter than a 6th grader". :D
Nope. I can do all sorts of math, and I have a good understanding of chemistry and engineering. I have a 4 year degree in computer science, and I'm well on my way to a Master's degree. But, I am NOT smarter than a 6th grader. I have trouble using an iPod.

Heh, I like my low alcohol beers... I can drink them all day. This 8.6% IPA I'm nipping on right now is kicking my a$$.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the alcohol content. Alcohol adds some body or "fullness", but it's the flavor that counts.

Latest posts

Back