How to do 1st Runnings Only Beer? Beersmith issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StopTakingMyUsername

Reaction score
I'd like to try an experiment on a stout and do 1st runnings only.
I have access to a second mash tun, so I could just split the batch in half and do half in each mash tun.

The problem I run into there is how to enter things into beersmith and figure out volumes, strike temps, etc.
When I enter the recipe into beersmith, even if I scale it, the water volumes are mostly in the sparge (which I won't be doing on this brew).
If I eliminate the sparge volume, I'll get maybe 1.5 gal from each mash tun - for a total of 3 gals in the boil kettle. Obviously that's not going to work.

Can anyone help me figure out how to do this?

Does beersmith have a "1st runnings only" option somewhere that I just don't see?

Will u do. BIAB or collect into the first running from a false bottom mash tun?

The absorption rate is different from BIAB and no spare

If BIAB, then u follow the post above

If not, the way I found easy is to change the grist/water ratio on the mash tab up until u got 0.00 of spare water. That would do it

Other way would be to go to advanced settings and change the BIAB absorption rate up (can't remember now), coz when u pull the bag up it will squeeze the grain a little

Hope that helps

If you are doing first runnings only, that means no sparge - correct? If so, then the volume into your kettle is dependent on your mash density. If you choose a traditional 1.25 qt/lb density then of course your kettle volume will suffer, because that density expects a sparge to complete the picture.

On the other end of the spectrum, BIAB is typically a full volume mash, so you use all the water you need in the mash in order to get your desired kettle volume. But it doesn't need to be BIAB per se - the bag is just the "manifold" in that setup. You'd be doing no-sparge brewing, which you can employ with any medium that separates the wort from the grain.

I'd simply remove the sparge volume from Beersmith, and adjust the mash density to taste in order to compromise between volume and gravity.

are you trying to get your entire pre boil volume to come out of the mash tun? or are you going to add water to the BK pre boil?

are you trying to get your entire pre boil volume to come out of the mash tun? or are you going to add water to the BK pre boil?

This.

Two separate MLT's with false bottoms. Grain bill split in half, with half going into each.
I'd like to collect the desired amount (~7.8 gal - 2 hour boil) into the boil kettle from the combination of both 1st runnings (from each MLT).

I'll look at the BIAB option stated above.

Really I just need to ensure that I get 3.9 gal worth of first runnings out of each MLT without throwing anything else off.

I'd like to try an experiment on a stout and do 1st runnings only.
I have access to a second mash tun, so I could just split the batch in half and do half in each mash tun.

The problem I run into there is how to enter things into beersmith and figure out volumes, strike temps, etc.
When I enter the recipe into beersmith, even if I scale it, the water volumes are mostly in the sparge (which I won't be doing on this brew).
If I eliminate the sparge volume, I'll get maybe 1.5 gal from each mash tun - for a total of 3 gals in the boil kettle. Obviously that's not going to work.

Can anyone help me figure out how to do this?

Does beersmith have a "1st runnings only" option somewhere that I just don't see?
  • Set your sparge volume to 0 and/or change your water to grist ratio. Lots of ways to do it.
  • Adjust your anticipated BH efficiency accordingly.

All my beers are no sparge.

Also it doesn't matter how many mash tuns are used. Calculate the strike temp for one and repeat. Then just tell beersmith the volumes and grain bill totals.

• Set your sparge volume to 0 and/or change your water to grist ratio. Lots of ways to do it.
  • Adjust your anticipated BH efficiency accordingly.

All my beers are no sparge.

Not sure how to set sparge volume to 0.
I did just experiment with changing the "Amount of water to add" portion in the mash design. I can just enter in whatever, and make the numbers work from there, so that may actually work...
That does create a pretty crazy water/grist ratio though (2.4 qt/lb in this case). Is that a problem?
I'd assume not... just wanted to check with some of the more veteran brewers for feedback.

Not sure how to set sparge volume to 0.
I did just experiment with changing the "Amount of water to add" portion in the mash design. I can just enter in whatever, and make the numbers work from there, so that may actually work...
That does create a pretty crazy water/grist ratio though (2.4 qt/lb in this case). Is that a problem?
I'd assume not... just wanted to check with some of the more veteran brewers for feedback.

That's an easy and effective way to do it, just changing the grist/water ratio will do it. I mash a lot thinner than that. Not a problem but you need to factor that in if you are planning any pH modifications/requirements.

If not don't sweat it.

Latest posts

Back