how to convert a beer recipe to a braggot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildlife1

Reaction score
Evening,
Iam trying to convert two beer flavors to a braggot recipes.I know there are plenty of recipes for cyser and pumpkin meads but how do I create the wheat and hop components or even try to determine the varieties or combinations.Is it just a whole lot of trial and error or is there some mad science involved ?:confused:

Add honey to 50% of the fermentables, and maybe take some of the grain bill away to compensate. You can do a braggot in a couple ways.

Make a honey ale that has a good amount of honey (3-5lbs for a 5 gallon batch). Or make a batch of mead that has some DME, steeped grains, or hops added / boiled in. Age the former like a beer and the latter like a mead.

There is another way.
Make a traditional mead.
Make a beer you like.
Put them next to each other and make "go together" motions with your hands. (Or blend them by hand if that doesn't work.)
Do a little at a time to see where you like it.
Have friends come over and be a tasting panel.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Home Brew mobile app

If you know what beer style you are planning, go forth and research that style. Pick a honey varietal that will taste good with it (if you have the option to).
Like MarshmallowBlue said--you need to have 50% or more of the fermentable sugars be from honey for it to be a braggot (rather than a honey ale, or something). When I go about it I figure out my base recipe using a brewing calculator, and add honey--usually reducing the amount of base malt as well, since that is there mainly for sugars--to the desired OG.

skadalajara's version is good for figuring out the malt/honey proportions...then you can brew the recipe properly. :D

Latest posts

Back