How to Clarify AND carbonate cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomslang

Reaction score
I have a batch of apple cider on the go and I want to make it clear and carbonated for bottling. My question is, if I use a fining agent, wont there be any yeast left in suspension to eat the priming sugar and carbonate my cider?

Or do I add the priming sugar to the bottles and just let them sit until they clarify on their own?

Thanks guys!

I have a batch of apple cider on the go and I want to make it clear and carbonated for bottling. My question is, if I use a fining agent, wont there be any yeast left in suspension to eat the priming sugar and carbonate my cider?

Or do I add the priming sugar to the bottles and just let them sit until they clarify on their own?

Thanks guys!
Unless you're filtering, there will still be plenty of yeast to carbonate in the bottle. I assume you're using something like sparkaloid or gelatin. You'll get good clarity, but you'll still have enough yeast.

I've never used a fining agent. I use pectic enzyme at the start of primary. By the end of secondary fermentation it's clear as a bell.

16499267198_e4a72fb063_z.jpg

Even though it's clear, there's plenty of yeast there to carbonate. If you let it clear in the bottle you'll have sediment when you pour. Yuck.

My cider is always clear after a few weeks in the carboy. I dont use finings.

Here's a picture of one of my ciders at about 2 weeks old, using S04 yeast:

cider.jpg

In other words, a bit of time will clear the cider without using finings (as I want a vegan/vegetarian friendly product). But even if you did use some finings to rush the process along, there are still billions of yeast in suspension, even in the sample above, and the cider will carb just fine.

Thanks guys youve all been great once again!

I have a cherry cider im about to finish up with so I cant wait to see how it turns out!

Latest posts

Back