how to carb a keg and bottles...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_mox

Reaction score
I tried to do a search on this and couldn't find anything, if my answer is on here, feel free to just link to it.

I have a 2.5 gallon keg, so I will have to bottle the rest of my batch. I dont have a CO2 tank, so I will have to naturally carb the keg. my question is can i just add the 5oz of priming sugar to the 5 gal batch, fill the keg then bottle the rest? or to i have to measure out separate amounts of sugar for both the keg and the bottles?

Thanks for the help!

I would add the full amount to a bucket, rack to the bottling bucket on top of the sugar solution mixing it nicely, then rack from there to your bottles and keg. Racking to the keg just as if it's just another bottle in the process.

IP's got the right idea. Although many people say to use half as much sugar to prime kegged beer, I haven't had a problem using the same amount as for bottles.

I should add that I rarely bottle, but when a clone kit contains priming sugar, the whole packet goes in the keg.

The priming calculator is very helpful.

I usually bottle ~1 gallon and keg the rest. I put about 1/4 cup of priming material (DME, brown sugar, molasses) into the keg. I dissolve about 1 oz. of the priming material into some boiling water (~100 ml), cool the solution, and add it to my bottles with a syringe (~10ml/bottle). Works great. No more problems with overcarbed bottles.

ok cool, so its just a matter of adding the priming sugar to my bottling bucket, and splitting the beer! sweet i was hoping it was that easy! thanks for the info guys

Back