how to calculate required aging time for bigger beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarFromBilly

Reaction score
I am considering making my first big beer, and need some help. Fisrt does anyone know the avb that most ale yeasts shut down. I am planning on trying to get my beer as close to that point as possible, followed by adding a bottling/kegging yeast to condition the beer at bottling time. Also is there any way to calculate how long it takes for the alcohol taste to mellow out, Other than the try a beer every month?

The all Phil tolerance us different for each yeast strain I believe. How long it will take for the hot taste go gov away depends on the beer what the fermentation temp was and other factors. My guess would be 5 to 6 months at least.

Look up the yeast on the companies web site. They list the alcohol tollerence for each strain.

Like others have said, the yeast manufacturer will list the yeast's alcohol tolerance. As far as the conditioning of the beer goes, there are many variables apart from ABV. If you share a recipe I bet we can get you a guesstimate. I have made an 11.25% IIPA that was ready to go 3 weeks from bottling and have had a 5% milk stout take 4 months to mature.

Pitch enough yeast and get a healthy ferment and aging becomes an option, not a requirement.

I find aging to be more dependent on ingredients (e.g., oak, vanilla, fruit, lots of roasted malt (sometimes)...) instead of ABV. As above, if there are hops in it, I'm drinking it young regardless of ABV.

So here's my formula: If it tastes good, bottle it and drink it.
You'll train your intuition over time as you taste older bottles and see what you like and what you don't.

So the likelihood of having the big beer ready for the winter holidays is very slim. Would adding yeast nutrients and yeast energizer also be must have items in my recipe?

So the likelihood of having the big beer ready for the winter holidays is very slim. Would adding yeast nutrients and yeast energizer also be must have items in my recipe?

I brew a big beer or two for Christmas every year and haven't brewed them yet for this year. You could definitely have one ready by then.

I'd skip the nutrients/energizer. The malt takes care of that. Adding O2 is strongly recommended though.

Back