How to brew part AG part Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WBrewer

Reaction score
I have been brewing 10 gallon AG batches for about 4 years. I started out AG brewing. Only experience I have with extract is making starters. My mash tun will hold about 34 lbs of grains, and that is the absolute maximum​. I am brewing a Pumpkin Pie Imperial Stout this Fall. It calls for 44lbs of grains plus pumpkin and a few other things, in the Mash. No way will I have enough room. There are 30lbs of 2-row. If I switch out, say 18lbs for extract, how do you do that? Thanks for any help!

1 pound of grain is equivalent to .75 LME or .60 DME so you could sub 18.67 pounds of 2-row for 14 pounds of Ultralight Malt Extract.

Thanks! But do you just throw it all in the boil, at the begining, at the end or mix it after the boil?

Thanks! But do you just throw it all in the boil, at the begining, at the end or mix it after the boil?

Any of the above. If you throw it in towards the end of the boil (rather than the beginning of the boil) you'll get better extraction from your hops (more bitterness).

Latest posts

Back