How to brew "Green Beer" for Saint Patricks Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You arent a good Jew if you dont put Lox on your bagels btw. Being a Hybrid Heathen christianjewagnostic, on those holidays, I color eggs eating a pork lox bagel whilst pondering the meanings of the universe, And drink.

Nix the green beer and mash cornbeef and cabbage as previously stated.

I'm starting to think that the lack of a reasonable answer to this question has less to do with people disagreeing with the "concept" of green beer, and more to do with people just not having a good answer to the question!

I'm starting some experimentation, and found that 2-3 drops of green food coloring looks great, 2 drops looks more... Irish. I found that 19 drops fit in a 1/8 teaspoon so 3/4 of teaspoon would give me 2.1 drops per 12oz. My plan is to boil 1 cup of water with the food coloring and add that to my keg. What do you guys think?

I think i might do this to my crappy london bitter . Just because.Who knows maybe it will taste better by then.And its super light.

I'm starting to think that the lack of a reasonable answer to this question has less to do with people disagreeing with the "concept" of green beer, and more to do with people just not having a good answer to the question!

No, it's because putting food coloring in beer hurts the beer gods feelings. Especially the celtic ones.

Makes a stout's head green. Looks amazing.

I was planning on putting a couple of drops in a few bottles to give away to coworkers.
or
I'm starting some experimentation, and found that 2-3 drops of green food coloring looks great, 2 drops looks more... Irish. I found that 19 drops fit in a 1/8 teaspoon so 3/4 of teaspoon would give me 2.1 drops per 12oz. My plan is to boil 1 cup of water with the food coloring and add that to my keg. What do you guys think?

Now that would be pretty awesome, give a few bottles of stout out for the day/first time anyone pours the keg and BAM!! without warning theres a friken St Paddy's day green head on my stout... Awesome, gimmicky but still awesome!

or

Now that would be pretty awesome, give a few bottles of stout out for the day/first time anyone pours the keg and BAM!! without warning theres a friken St Paddy's day green head on my stout... Awesome, gimmicky but still awesome!

I'm not sure if it works if you mix the stout with the coloring before pouring. Try it! Can't hurt the beer.

I'm not sure if it works if you mix the stout with the coloring before pouring. Try it! Can't hurt the beer.

Why wouldn't it? I would think it would work better since you could make sure the green was mixed into the beer and not just left at the bottom of the glass.

Revvy said:
1) Brew a true Irish beer for St. Paddy's Day. Like a stout.

2) Buy a case of your favorite cheap beer, and a bottle of green food coloring.

3)On St. Paddy's day, forget about the stuff in step 2 and drink the stout.

4) Repeat step 3. If you run out MAYBE drink some of the swill.

5) Use any of the leftover cheap beer to water the compost, and the green food coloring for dying eggs for Easter.

Im not a experienced Brewer but i do agree here. Why make a fake Irish beer ? Nothing says Irish more than drinking a Irish stout.
If you're just going to get food coloring and add it to any beer what's the point? I guarantee no "Irish man" would touch a green colored beer.

Why wouldn't it? I would think it would work better since you could make sure the green was mixed into the beer and not just left at the bottom of the glass.

well if you pour directly onto the 2 or so drops of food coloring it should instantly mix with the first amount of beer being poured, and should all foam up

I add one teaspoon of food coloring per 5 gallons of beer when mixing up my priming sugar. Gives it a nice green tint.

Sorry for the up :)
But aside artificial food coloring, is there any ingredients that would bring taste and also green color to a beer ?
I know about spirulina but the taste is meh.
I've seen someone doing one with natural pandanus leaves extract. But sadly the only leaves I found were pretty crap.
Any other idea ?

Back