How to brew "Green Beer" for Saint Patricks Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, that's right...brew up your favorite beer then add green food coloring (or you can try some blue to see how it fairs with yellow beer). Green beer in the bars is only whatever beer (to keep it Irish, maybe Harp) plus green food coloring. Obviously, the darker the beer, the more food coloring you need. IMO, not worth it. I'd rather drink my share of dry stouts for St Pete's day!!

If your beer is particularly yellow/gold in color, you may be able to add just some blue food coloring and get a nice green tint.

1) Brew a true Irish beer for St. Paddy's Day. Like a stout.

2) Buy a case of your favorite cheap beer, and a bottle of green food coloring.

3)On St. Paddy's day, forget about the stuff in step 2 and drink the stout.

4) Repeat step 3. If you run out MAYBE drink some of the swill.

5) Use any of the leftover cheap beer to water the compost, and the green food coloring for dying eggs for Easter.

;)

5) Use any of the leftover cheap beer to water the compost, and the green food coloring for dying eggs for Easter.

Hahahahha

100000 parts BMC: 1 part green food coloring or there abouts.

Seriously though, green beer, along with St. Patty's day are American inventions designed to sell beer. As far as I know, the Irish don't celebrate it. Cinco de Mayo is the same way for Mexico.

Not that I won't drink a few for St Patty's of course.:tank:

Edit: Damn Revvy, you're quick.

BWAHAHAHA!!!

+1 on the Americanized St. Patty's Day. Drink a Guinness. There is a Ruby at the bottom of every glass!! no Green

LOL....good one. Unfortunately, I'm Jewish so I'd have no use for leftover green dye. I've never been one for green beer on St Pete's....I'd be much more interested in a soured extra foreign stout I'm perfecting now...

If memory serves me correctly, DFH brewed a beer a while back made with Spirulina (algae) which made it naturally green. I hear it tasted like crap, but it gets an A for effort!

LOL....good one. Unfortunately, I'm Jewish so I'd have no use for leftover green dye. I've never been one for green beer on St Pete's....I'd be much more interested in a soured extra foreign stout I'm perfecting now...

Being Jewish is no excuse. Easter eggs are a pagan symbol that somehow got translated to "Christian" holidays.

Since Christians are not pagans by definition, I see no reason that Jews can't color eggs too!

Being Jewish is no excuse. Easter eggs are a pagan symbol that somehow got translated to "Christian" holidays.

Since Christians are not pagans by definition, I see no reason that Jews can't color eggs too!

Not to forget the fact that Jesus wasn't even a Christian. He was preaching a radicalized version of Judaism, NOT a religion known as Christianity.....he never set out to start a religion, and never saw himself as anything other than a Jew. So go figure....

BTW, according to, imho one of the best books on the subject;

lamb.jpg

Chinese food was Jesus's favorite birthday meal, and that's why Jews all go out for Chinese food on Christmas day. They got it right to begin with. ;)

Chinese food was Jesus's favorite birthday meal, and that's why Jews all go out for Chinese food on Christmas day. They got it right to begin with. ;)

Oh, all Jews go out for Chinese food on Christmas....that's news to me! :drunk:

We'll if you aren't you aren't very good Jews for jesus are you?;)

That's true...I'd rather stick to bagels for breakfast and pastrami for lunch. The only time I ate Chinese for a holiday was when I was visiting NYC for Thanksgiving. So Jesus was from Brooklyn? That might explain a lot....

Well he didnt have to brew with all that water in to wine he conjured up.

Humm....my favorite He'brew beer is Lenny's RIPA (and even though I tend to be an ale drinker, I also think their Coney Island series are some mighty fine lagers). I suspect that if Jesus was an American Jew, he wouldn't think Lenny's would be blasphemous. :D

Humm....my favorite He'brew beer is Lenny's RIPA (and even though I tend to be an ale drinker, I also think their Coney Island series are some mighty fine lagers). I suspect that if Jesus was an American Jew, he wouldn't think Lenny's would be blasphemous. :D

Damn right. It's funny, I literally just finished watching Lenny again on Netflix. Every time I see that movie I get mad at the court system.

Not to forget the fact that Jesus wasn't even a Christian. He was preaching a radicalized version of Judaism, NOT a religion known as Christianity.....he never set out to start a religion, and never saw himself as anything other than a Jew. So go figure....

BTW, according to, imho one of the best books on the subject;

lamb.jpg

One of the best books that I've read recently. However, it doesn't answer the original question about green beer, it placed too much emphasis on wine.:D

If anyone needs green beer for St. Pat's day around here I will serve them a glass of BMC and a couple of drops of food coloring garnished with a shamrock or any green vegetable.

Getting back on the topic of green beer, I hear everyone's complaints about it, and I get it, but it is a gimmick, and it is something people would like to see. I recently brewed my first AG batch, and ended up with terrible efficiency. I now have 10 gallons of what essentially amounts to Bud Light. I also have a newer stout that I brewed last week that should turn out pretty good. My plan is to dye one keg of the Bud Light clone green and serve that with my stout at a St. Patty's day party. I'm doing it 100% for the factor of my idiot friends going "Wow you made green beer!"

So that being said, if you were to do the unthinkable and dye a beer green (which in no way will effect the flavor of an already pretty weak beer) how would you do it?

So that being said, if you were to do the unthinkable and dye a beer green (which in no way will effect the flavor of an already pretty weak beer) how would you do it?
well, this brings up a new question. Let's say we all heed the advice and stay away from green beer- which we all agree is gimmicky. does anyone know what i would have to do to make my diarrhea green the day after st patty's day? something to do with apples and lawn clippings, maybe?

Back