how to add on brewery to existing restaurant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's just say this is our experiment. My projections show our investment returned within six months. The glass ceiling will actually support my salary and a small return for the investors but the idea is to test the waters and then expand.

Great thread and thank you for sharing the journey with us. I'm impressed and I truly wish you the best. The next couple of years is going to be very tough and if you can make it through, you know you can get through anything. :mug:

edcculus - thanks for the post - you've been a big help to me on hbt.

Haven't made the leap to fermcap yet but I may, indeed. It's pretty intimidating to watch 40 come gallons start to come at you.

You won't regret it. It might help you to cram a little more into the fermenters too. I don't know how much you are putting in vs. head space. With fermcap, you might be able to produce a little bit more each batch and not worry about blowoff in the fermenter.

Erie - keg only for now. We can't self-distribute in virginia, so basically we have to pay a 25% markup to an intermediate distributor/wholesaler who is allowed to sell directly to the retailers (restaurants, grocery stores). We have an extra license (or will have) that allows us to fill growlers at the brewery and sell/rent kegs but only to individuals, not to businesses. Craft beer kegs retail around here for around $65 (the restaurant pays the wholesaler) so that means I only get around $50 for it from the wholesaler. The nice thing is I don't have to spend $$ on gas, vehicle, employee, whatever. Bad part is the lost $$. This is also why more sane people do brewPUBS, cuz you're making $4 a pint or closer to $200 for a 5 gallon keg.

Chris

This confirms what I've calculated on my pro-formas. In order to achieve the desired return (for me) at my estimated production level, I would need to sell the majority at retail. In order to achieve the required return at wholesale prices, I would need a HUGE increase in production level. This means larger upfront capital expense, more space required, etc.

There's alot of planning involved with doing something like this. I imagine it has been a lot of work. It looks like you're doing a great job so far. :mug:

First 3 test/experimental batches through the system. My water needed calcs were off, I didn't lose near what I would expect. No biggie and easy fix. One of the three batches smells a bit off in the fermenter and I was anticipating the open tops on the brute bins might invite too many outsiders. Also, my yeast pitch was a day late in the mail and the wort sat in the fermenter for about a day before I pitched. And, of course, it could be too early in the process. I racked the first beer to dry hops in a secondary and it smelled/tasted great and finished right at 1.012. Brewing big batches (relative to my usual ten gallons) is so freakin' awesome I want to do it every day. Of course, ask me in six months if I'm sick of it yet.

Mando,
If you needed cali ale, I could have provided!

I fianally found this thread, I knew it had to be here somewhere...

Congrats. Holler if I can help in any way.

Check out the Harvest Table in Meadowview. http://www.meadowviewfarmersguild.com/

VERY good pizza, VERY good cheese plate, VERY good tomato salad, decent selection of local brews, always room for more brews!

just updating to see if anyone is still interested.

We got our state brewery license this week, a huge milestone and we're almost a 'real' brewery (albeit the smallest in Virginia - our abc agent actually said he'd never seen anything like this before). Next up we need approval for our retail state license which will allow us to sell/fill growlers straight from the brewery and sell kegs to individuals. No biggie.

We also need to get 'labels' for our kegs which are keg collars with the gov't warnings, volume, our brewery name and address on them. These have to be approved by ttb which will take several weeks. Since we're not bottling these labels are just to appease the ttb so not much planning.

We're upping our productivity to a little over 2 bbls a week from here on out so we can maintain a minimum line for 3 or 4 local restaurants. We'll add more as we see what the demand is and increase our production.

Crazy

I'm insanely jealous. I hope to get to where you are one day. I'm also upset that I had to go and graduate (tech '09) and move back home to colorado before you opened up. The next time I get back to the area I'll definitely have to come down and check you out.

Good Luck

AWESOME!! Congrats.....A homebrewers dream come true!!! I like it!! Good luck and best of wishes to you and your new business....If ever in the area I will have to check it out!

Hello all,

I'm looking at getting my license to nano brew, as anyone been thru the license process with ABC/ATTB. What should I be looking out for as far as space and getting site inspected etc.

Latest posts

Back