How thoroughly do you clean corny kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPB

Reaction score
I thoroughly cleaned my cornies the first time I got them-took off posts, removed poppets, replaced rings etc. I am about to keg my second brew and was wondering if I needed to clean as extensively as I did the first time. Can I just rinse corny and tap, soak corny in PBW and run that through the tap as well and sanitize the corny and tap with some Starstan and be done with it?

The poppets were a pain to take out last time and I bent one of the prongs attempting to put it back in (no the poppet does not just rest inside the post as it does for some other kegs).

Thanks for the input.

Just PBW and sanitize right away not leaving them laying around weeks later to cake up with hard dry crap inside. I would also add C02 with low pressure then store, check that they hold pressure a week or two later. Don't fritz out but don't get sloppy with cleaning.

That will be fine. I take them apart every few brews but not every time.

I make a habit of completely stripping mine down between brews. Not saying it's necessary....just a regiment I've tried to stick with. For my poppets that stick I take the post off and place on my bench. Then I use a long thin screw driver to push it out. When you put the post back together loosely start the post. Wiggle it until the poppet is placed correctly as you hand tighten. You don't want to "force" anything.

As the other side of the spectrum, I have never taken mine apart. I rinse with hot water before i fill them, then starsan. Never had an issue (3+ years).

That will be fine. I take them apart every few brews but not every time.

Hell i'm guilty then as i've surpassed over 10 corney refills without taking them apart without any problems.
Just do not get lazy or sloppy with maintaining sanitary conditions.
Hell my grandparents and dad as a kid helped brew in open crock pots thru the Prohibition era, we're German
and made great bier i'm told plus a few added bottle bombs.
Other side of family Austrian brewers also without infection problems (sexual no comment).
Look at us today freaking out with "could of happened?"
Just use common sense and think like a bad bug and win it over, Prost.

Fantastic! Looks like I'll have time to keg tomorrow!

As the other side of the spectrum, I have never taken mine apart. I rinse with hot water before i fill them, then starsan. Never had an issue (3+ years).

Cheers bro, i'll think of extending my full take aparts longer then as not wishing to wear out the fittings. Above reply a screwdriver to push the valve open, I use 1/8" brass welding rod with a thumb loop preventing SS valve damage, soft will not hurt hard SS material. Like I said use common sense you should be golden.

I find that taking apart and striping my keg completely (I even take apart my pressure valve) helps my keg function better. I have had a couple of posts that stick, after a through cleaning and lube the work just fine. To me it is not a cleaning/sanitation issue it is more like getting your car serviced, just make sure everything is functioning correctly.

Just my 2 cents

I only strip every time cause I've seen the gunk in the poppits and the dip tube after I've ran cleaner through them. Course the chances of the beer post fermentation getting infected, especially while cold is slim.

Since I made a keg washer, I haven't taken it apart. I guess it's still a good idea to disassemble once every few months, but I really don't go through more than 1 corny a month.....

Every time I finish a keg I stare at it and decide that this time I am going to leave it intact and just flush with Oxyclean. But then the extra 5 minutes of taking it apart always wins out, it really is pretty fast and gives me the added piece of mind that I am not going to ruin 5 gallons of beer that I worked hard on brewing.

Anal or conscientious ?

One thing that I do every few brews is remove the posts and boil them. Probably unnecessary but I think it helps to loosen any "junk" that could be hiding that PBW couldn't get. That way I also don't have to deal with the PITA poppets.

I take mine apart, drop all the parts in the keg, let them soak for a while with beer brite or pbw. Rinse, then store disassembled with the parts in the belly and never had a problem in 3 years. Just make sure to lube before you seal them the next time :)

Actually I never lube them, just wanted to say lube.

I take mine apart, drop all the parts in the keg, let them soak for a while with beer brite or pbw. Rinse, then store disassembled with the parts in the belly and never had a problem in 3 years. Just make sure to lube before you seal them the next time :)

Actually I never lube them, just wanted to say lube.

Complete dissasembly, toss all parts into the keg, soak with 180F PBW (homemade) overnight, rinse all parts well, lube all o-rings, reassemble, seal with 30 psi of co2, sanitize with starsan before use.

I will not ever have any issues.

ok, not to take over thread, but any pics or tutorials as to take out poppets? Have been kegging for 6 brews, haven't taken apart yey, but I would like to soon. Also, I have plenty of new o-rings (thanks to McMaster.com) but no keg lube. How important is the lube....to kegging?

I THOROUGHLY take the lid off, toss in a little no rinse, replace the lid, shake a lot, pressurize and blow the no rinse out the tap, fill with beer, pressurize, and enjoy.

Once a year I think about doing more than that, but usually don't.

Back