How soon to keg and chill with Voss Kveik

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwightr8

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of Irish Red on Friday afternoon. Pitched a pack of dry Voss Kveik Friday evening. Pressure fermented (15psi) in a corny @90F . Fermentation seemed to be done by Sunday morning. Gravity went from 1.071 to 1.018. My question is how long should I wait to transfer to serving keg and chill?

As soon as you're confident it's done, is the right answer.

I recently made a pale mild with Voss; it went 1.041 to 1.012 in 12 hours and I kegged it at the end of day 2, was drinking it by the end of day 3. It's very good (and getting better all the time in the keg).

This whole Kveik thing just doesn't seem right! I'm really having a hard time wrapping my head around it. Ferment @ 90+F for 2 or 3 days, throw it in a keg, chill, and drink. Since I'm pressure fermenting, my beer is naturally carbonated when it goes in the serving keg too.

As soon as you're confident it's done, is the right answer.

I recently made a pale mild with Voss; it went 1.041 to 1.012 in 12 hours and I kegged it at the end of day 2, was drinking it by the end of day 3. It's very good (and getting better all the time in the keg).
Pale mild interests me! What was your recipe?

Depends on your hopping/style - the more hops and I've found takes longer in time past the FG to flush the hop green out. I have taken a kettle sour with Voss from grain to glass, including 48hrs of souring, in 9 days with great results.

My White IPA is blended Voss and WLP670 - runs about 3 weeks grain to glass. FG is there within a few days, its just too hop green to pour. I give the 670 time to clean up whats left and let the green hop to fade.

With the Irish, I'd say crash it and pour it once your FG is hit. Cant be more than 20 or so IBUS so unlikely you'll have an issue.

Pale mild interests me! What was your recipe?

Hey there! It interested me too!

I kinda made it up as I went along, but:

• 82% Mecca Grade Lamonta (can sub Maris Otter)
  • 9% Aromatic
  • 9% Mecca Grade Opal 44 (don't know of any subs for this one but I suspect a good English crystal in the same L range would work well)
  • Amarillo to 21 IBU (all early in the boil)
  • Lallemand Voss kveik (I know this is odd, but I find it leaves a fullness in beers that I thought would help a low gravity style, plus the orange esters are nice)
  • Generally balanced water profile, slightly more gypsum (around ~100ppm). Target mash pH around 5.35.
  • Mashed at 160F.
  • OG 1.041 (overshot my 1.037 target).
  • Fermented at 85F, give or take.
  • Half a packet of yeast sprinkled on dry.

@marc1 Here's a pic of it after a couple weeks in the keg:

25f9h2l.jpg

Back