How remove manufacturer’s label ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beavis740

Reaction score
Bought two SPIKE pots a year ago. SPIKE has obnoxious gaudy eyesores on all their equipment, namely their company logo. It’s the first ghing uou see when you enter my brewroom.
Despite three inquiries, SPIKE won’t reply to my emails askin how to remove these. I guess they wanna keep their free advertising. BTW they used to have a customer seevice rep answer phones but no more. You gotta email em.
Anyone know how to remove these logos safely? They seem like heavy duty stickers or”melted on’ plastic

Not that I'd go through the effort to remove the logos on the kettles, and/or conical fermenters, I have of theirs... But if they're stickers, you COULD try acetone. If they're something that acetone won't touch, chances are you'll need to sand them off. IMO, more work than it's worth. Then again, I don't mind the logo on the gear. It's not like I'm looking at it every waking hour. ;)

As for the contact method for CS... I've always had quick replies to any emails I've sent to Spike. Then again, I'm not asking for how to remove their logo from the gear.

IME, acetone will remove any non-oven cured paint you could apply. I've used it to clean a wide range of treatments off of metals over the years. If the logo is something akin to powder coating, or another oven cured finish, then you'll either need to scrape, or sand, it off.

You might have better luck requesting how the logo is applied to the kettles. OR reach out to Spike on these forums to find out. ;)

If it's a decal, softening it with a heat gun should work, though it may leave a layer of adhesive behind. You can remove that with mineral spirits or acetone. Though being a brew kettle, I'm guessing it's something that's made to hold up to some heat.

If it's paint or a baked-on design, it might be difficult to remove without scuffing up the side. You could take a random orbit sander with fine grit, though that will leave a different finish than the brushed metal.

If it's like these
IMG_20220127_172715503.jpg
then they seem fingernail peelable. Maybe some acetone to deal with any residue.

This
IMG_20220127_172731072.jpg
seems like it needs solvent. Maybe acetone will do, or you could go to the hard stuff (e g. gasoline). Might be tough sledding though.

^^^ Agreed. Though the latter looks more like it's been etched or something.

Do you have a picture example?

The upside is that, being stainless, you can try just about anything you have. Acetone is a great start, aka fingernail polish remover. If that doesn't work, xylene Goof-Off in the little metal can is about the best of the best. Toluene brake cleaner could work too, if you're a car person.

Orange solvent is pretty good for labels and glue residue. I think in the past there was discussion about using Carbon Tetrachloride for label removing. It's not a good idea, poisonous, flammable and bad for the environment.
If they have etched or sandblasted it you are stuffed.

The other option would be to make your own decal, brewery name etc and stick it over the top.

A lot of manufacturers are doing this, they must think a big logo is going to get them more sales. Personally, I’d avoid equipment emblazoned with huge logos like that. I prefer a clean look.

Anything baked onto stainless is going to be tough to remove. I’m sure its designed for a lot of heat and that one logo looks like it is acid etched.

I’ve done a lot of hot rod parts over the years. You’d probably benefit to find the best car part and wheel polisher in your area. They will be able to polish out that etching and the applied logo on their big buffing wheels with abrasive compounds. They’ll polish out the whole outside of the kettle at the same time. Take along any other offending stainless parts, they’ll polish those too.

Finally, if people quit buying equipment that looks like this, they will quit doing it. I’m sure some manufacturer out there is benefitting from people who want clean looking equipment by not burdening you with their big obnoxious logos.

Last edited:
If all of the chemical methods above don't work, I'd try brake and/or carb cleaner. If that doesn't work get some MEK. That's got to be some of the nastiest **** I've ever worked with. If using MEK, do it outside and follow all safety precautions.

Thanks all. Lots of good info. Imma try the “peel” method first. Then mabbe goto acetone, then Im not sure. It’s not etched, but rather “raised.”

Instead of trying one suggestion after the other that may work. Try all the above suggestions for guaranteed results.

1. Mix equal parts acetone, brake cleaner, WS-40, Goo-Gone, bleach, chalk paint, and barkeepers friend.
2. Pour mixture over entire surface and leave to sit for six to eight weeks
3. Prepare the surface by blasting it with a heat gun on high for 15 - 16 hours.
4. Using an aggressive wheel on your grinder and MAP gas, hit the logo with flame and grinder simultaneously.
5. Keep going until the logo and most of the metal is gone.

Pro tip: don't forget to disable your smoke detectors. You don't want that annoying racket while you're trying to work.

When you realize you've just destroyed the kettle, give Spike a call to initiate a warranty claim. When they agree to replace it, make sure to request one without branding. Viola! You now have a kettle without the Spike logo on it.

Disclaimer: I'm an untrained idiot.

When you realize you've just destroyed the kettle, give Spike a call to initiate a warranty claim. When they agree to replace it, make sure to request one without branding. Viola! You now have a kettle without the Spike logo on it.
Missing manufacture's label probably voids the warranty...."Hey, this isn't 'our' kettle?!"

Instead of trying one suggestion after the other that may work. Try all the above suggestions for guaranteed results.

1. Mix equal parts acetone, brake cleaner, WS-40, Goo-Gone, bleach, chalk paint, and barkeepers friend.
3. Prepare the surface by blasting it with a heat gun on high for 15 - 16 hours.
4. Using an aggressive wheel on your grinder and MAP gas, hit the logo with flame and grinder simultaneously.
5. Keep going until the logo and most of the metal is gone.

Pro tip: don't forget to disable your smoke detectors. You don't want that annoying racket while you're trying to work.

You forgot to mention using thermite... It cleans EVERYTHING.

That brake and carb cleaner might be CCl4 so be careful.

No doubt its nasty stuff, just like the MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) which is sometimes in carb cleaner.

Use ventilation, and don't think that your latex gloves will protect your hands!! Its readily absorbed through your skin, so just don't get any on you!

These chemicals are a last resort.

Don't worry about the noise of the smoke detector(s), the explosion from the solvents when you light the MAP torch will probably deafen you anyhow. That's if the vapors don't render you unconscious before you get a chance to light the torch. :p

My Disclaimer: Don't do any of this it's dangerous, and learn to love the labels.

Acetone should do it. Fold a cotton cloth several times and saturate it then let it set on the logo for several minutes. If that doesn't work try automotive paint stripper.

This is my favorite part about this thread:

View attachment 757813

I've read lots of good stuff about Spike products. This is the first thing about them that I've seen that strikes me negatively.

Ignoring direct communication and being passive-aggressive with "likes" rather than just responding to the customer that bought the products is a bad look. @Beavis740 doesn't like the appearance of the logo on the kettle he bought; Spike could at least give him an actual reply.

If Spike wants to have an aggressive image of telling customers to suck it up and deal with it, they should own it and say so. Otherwise, they could try being helpful.

Back