How often do you brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How often do you have to brew to keep up with consumption and/or storage capacity?

I haven't figured that out yet. I keep getting way ahead with kegs stacked up in line, then get busy and run out of homebrew.

I'm thinking 5 gallons every other week should git 'r done though if I could get settled in.

I've been trying to brew every two weeks. I alternate between 5 and 10 gallon batches...10 gallons of Pale Ale, then two weeks later a bigger beer and only 5 gallons. This way I'll have some good easy drinkers laying around to keep my hands off the bigger beers. Hopefully I will be able to cellar some interesting batches 6 months to a year, while never being short on brews when I have friends over.

I'm getting it where I try to brew 5 gallons at least twice a month. Once I get kegging, I'll probably bump that up to 3 batches a month.

I have to stop brewing in May so I am going for a 1 -2 batches per week right now. I am also alternating stouts/porters with lighter beers so I have some beers aging for the next few months and some that will be ready to drink earlier. I can pick up brewing again in mid-July and will probably alternate brown/amber ales with Porter/Stouts for winter consumption.

I am also a member of SCA and we have a few large wars on the schedule this summer and Estrella War for a week in Feb. There are 10 people in our household and as the brewer for the household, I need a large stockpile for these events. If it were only for personal consumption with hubby, kiddo and myself I would just brew every other week. (Kiddo is 21 and also interested in brewing... I love to corrupt them while they are young and teach them about good beer and wine!)

My stockpile varies with the time of year. I go to extract in the winter to keep from drawing down my AG supply but by the time spring comes stocks are getting low. I then brew one to two times a month until the pipeline is full. That's ten gallon batches. Ten gallons lasts me one month.

There are 3 things that determine if I am brewing any given weekend.

1.Money
2.Time
3.Space i.e. fermenters/kegs

If I have all of these I am brewing!

^^^
I'm kind of the same way. It mostly depends on how much time I have and how many empty bottles I have. Looking at my calender, I haven't brewed anything in almost 6 weeks! That's way too long.

I do it whenever I have time. Right now I'm about to start finals, so I wont have time until May. By then I plan to have my mash tun built so hopefully I can start doing 10 gallon AG batches

Generally I try and brew every other week, but sometimes I'll end up brewing three 5 gallon batches in a week and not getting around to another for a few weeks. I recently upgraded my kegging system to 12 kegs, so i have quite a few and shouldnt have to worry about space between those and my 7 fermenters .... yeah, I'm addicted.

I brew twice a month on average, five gallons each. Plus I make another two gallons of Apfelwein or Cyser each month.

I basically brew with my brother every other week. My goal is to have at least 4 beers on tap at all times (one Stout, one ESB/IPA, and two revloving beers) plus 2 or 3 types of bottles of beer at hand (Rye's, wheat, others...).

I also would like to have 2 long term beers fermenting at all times, such as a Barleywine or Imperial Stout.

:mug:

For me, every two weeks - every other Saturday from 7:30 am (turn the water on and back to the sack for 30 mins.) to 12:30 pm (pitch yeast and clean up kitchen).

Results in a lot of beer, but I love drinkin' it, so . . .:mug:

I brew 5-gallon batches about twice a month or so, I try to keep something in the conical at all times.

We brew about 2 times a month. Plus a batch of Apfelwein. But we may have to slow down soon due to lack of money and short supply of clean bottles.

When I need to. I have 20 gallons ready for the tap currently, but just brewed up another Pale ale for an exchange. I try for every couple of weeks, though haven't been drinking my beer lately (for no real reason) and at least once a month. Though sometimes it turns out to be three times in a week...

I'm trying to get in at least 1 brew a month. Once I get a mill and buy in bulk they will definitely be 10G batches. But for now 5G a month. I have a 2 tap keezer but don't imagine I'll ever have 2 kegs ready at the same time at this pace.

As often as the schedule and available fermenters allow.

I brewed on Friday, and I'll likely be brewing after work on Wednesday of this week - recipe TBD.

On average, every other weekend.

I try to do a batch every couple weeks, depends mostly on carboy space & how much bottles I have ready to go (have yet to upgrade to kegs).

Once I buy my own brewing equipment, I'd like to get on a twice a month schedule... but that'll be a while since I'm totally spoiled borrowing the local homebrew club's snazzy AG system. So for now I'm trying to brew as much as possible while I have it, to tide me over till I can borrow it again. :)

I'd like to see the relationship between age, marital status, children, and brewing habits.

Maybe edit our posts with this info as well, or post again.

Brew ~1 batch/month
26yo
Married
1 8 month old son

Depends. SWMBO and I play competitive disc golf, so in the warmer months, the weekends are pretty busy. But I was able to do a 5 gallon batch the last 2 weeks in a row (I know I won't be able to for another 3 weeks at the very least). In general, I probably average ever other week. Kegging has been a godsend in that it is ready much quicker. I try to just keep one on tap at all times...if I get ahead, I make something that can age. Am ready to do some Belgians this summer.

I'd like to see the relationship between age, marital status, children, and brewing habits.

Brew ~1 batch/month
26yo
Married
1 8 month old son
Brew - every weekend so far this year but I'm sure that will subside at some point.
45 yo
Single
no kids and a very low-maintenance dog

Brew ~1 batch/month
26yo
Married
1 8 month old son

Brew 1 -2 batches per week
44 yo
Married
21 YO son, 10 feline brew assistants

Brew 2-3 batches/month (we'll see how the coming Texas heat affects that)
32 yo
Married (very supportive wife)
3 kids (6yo, 2yo, 6mo)

Brewing this often and I still drink it too fast to age any of my beers for long.

As often as the schedule and available fermenters allow.

I brewed on Friday, and I'll likely be brewing after work on Wednesday of this week - recipe TBD.

On average, every other weekend.

In light of Irregular's question, I'll amend my post.

29 yo
married
no children as of yet, but our schedules are very busy between my rugby practices/matches, volunteer activities, etc.

I still manage to brew 2-3 times per month on average. Time to start stepping things up to 10 gallon batches of my house favorites.

I brew around 13 5-gallon batches a year. Sometimes I go a few months without brewing, then bang out 3 or 4 batches in a month, just depends on what else is going on.

My stats:

38, married, kids 7,5,3.

my twiceish monthly brew sessions are coupled with heavy doses of honeydo list knockoffs the next day.

It's getting tough to fit brewing in. Both my boys are playing little league and I'm coaching one of the teams. I brew Saturday if the games line up right, or Sunday if not. Once my daughter (nickname: Title 9:D) starts playing sports I'll lose Saturdays completely.

I don't brew to keep up with my drinking. I brew because I love to brew. I've brewed 70 gallons so far this year and I have so much beer sitting around that it's just silly.

Not that this is a bad thing... :D

I brew a 5 gal batch every two weeks, this usually gives me enough beer for my personal consumption.

I always try to alternate a blonde Ale and then some darker stuff like a stout or a red/amber on the other week just so i get a little variety on the flavors available.

I would say it averages out to 3 times a month, sort of depends of whether I am doing 5 or 10 gallon batches. I have 3 6.5 gal carboys and try to prevent them from ever being empty.

25 years old
Married, no kids, one fish.

I brew 10 gallons nearly every weekend (I can count on one hand the weekends I missed over the past year). I brew with my dad, so we can legally do 400 gal per year. A handful of big 5 gal beers and we squeaked by with 395 gal. Luckily we know a lot of beer drinkers. I'm 26, no kids, a dog, and life is good.

Back