how often change o rings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePrisoner

Reaction score
just got some use corny style kegs.
They need cleaning but they are holding pressure.
How often must you change the o rings and do I have to completely dismantle them to clean them or can I just run fluid through them?

just got some use corny style kegs.
They need cleaning but they are holding pressure.
How often must you change the o rings and do I have to completely dismantle them to clean them or can I just run fluid through them?

My oldest kegs are 4 years. I have never changed the o-rings. As far as I'm concerned, if they're still holding pressure, I'm not going to mess with it.

Full dismantle cleanings are done every 4 or 5 or 20 fills or so. I might be lacking in this department, but I haven't had any issues yet. After they foam I rinse them thoroughly and either fill them up again or hit them with some gas and store them. When I do fill them, I do a sniff test. If it's south of cheese they get cleaned - not dismantle cleaned, but soak in Oxyclean cleaned.

I'm in the same boat, if it doesn't leak, why change them.

I do clean my kegs after each use. Put them on the keg washer and let it rip for 30 min. or so (if I remember its running), then rinse with starsan, pressurize and store until needed again.

So, with my used kegs, I should clean them but do I need to dismantle to make sure every part is clean or can I just pressurise them and run the liquid through the parts?

Where did you get your used kegs from? If not from a reputable supplier, or home brewer (that you know), I would take them apart and clean them.

Definitely agree with ^that^ - and I always install a full fresh set of O-rings on any new-to-me kegs just out of GPs.
You don't know where the keg has been...

Cheers!

I've always replaced all o-rings when I get a new (used) keg. I've never changed o-rings after that first time. Some kegs I have are now 3 years old. I usually do a full wash and rinse after each brew. I typically do a full breakdown, clean, and sanitize before I fill it again.

Back