How not to do a weldless bulkhead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalypsoCowboy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I'd post this for anyone thinking about this route for a weldless bulkhead. It may work for you, but not me.

I wanted to combine Kal's weldless bulkhead with the idea of a soldered washer. I don't have a propane torch, so I JB welded a washer to a hex nipple and added some food grade silicon to be safe. The hex part of the nipple would go on the outside of the pot, with the washer, then an o-ring and larger washer, ala Kal, the side of the pot, a washer inside and my fitting.

thumb2_img_00000184-61125.jpg

Well it turns out the hex nipple has a different taper than a close nipple and I was not able to get my compression elbow down tight enough. I was able to get a hex nut on but there was not enough threads after the nut for any kind of fitting. I did not have a coupling to try, but I'm guessing it would not fit.

thumb2_img_00000186-61126.jpg

There may be enough room this would work on a keggle as the wall is thicker, but no go on a thin pot unless you only need a nut on the inside.

Hopefully this helps someone else out before attempting this.

-Josh

Try ditching the nut and get yourself a ss washer or 2 to shim it and just use the elbow.

Back