How not to cut the top out of keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vector

Reaction score
A friend gave me a keg last week for the sole purpose of making a keggle.:)

By reading this forum and watching the videos on youtube it looks real easy.:)

I constructed a jig out of wood similar to the others I had seen here. Some people have used clamps to attached their angle grinder to the jig. I didn't have clamps like that, so I decided to improve on that. I'll just use some big stainless hose clamps to hold my Harbor Freight angle grinder to the jig.

Everything went together well, until I tried to use it. Flip the power switch and nothing happens. The hose clamps are so tight, they are compressing the plastic motor housing. OK, no problem I loosen the clamps and get it to run.

I start cutting the top out. I get about six inches cut and my grinder starts to smoke. I stop, pull out the power plug, and then it bursts into flames.:mad:

One angle grinder is now useless trash.:(

I grab a 20% coupon for Harbor Freight and go buy another one. I stop at the hardware store and buy metric bolts and straight steel brackets to mount my new angle grinder to the jig using the handle screw holes on the grinder.

I get home and finish the job.

Moral of the story: Don't clamp a Harbor Freight angle grinder to your jig, it will burn up. Use the handle mounting holes.:mug:

I'd extend that life lesson to ANY power tool with a plastic motor housing.

But at least actually getting to open flame on a power tool is somewhat impressive...

I have to say, that is seriously BA that you got it to burst into flames.

I would have tried exchanging the tool and saying 'I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENED?!?!?!?!' followed by lots of talk about possible lawsuits and all you wanted was to exchange the grinder...

But I am cheap like that...

Harbor freight will replace things if it is in the warranty period. I have fried a lot of stuff from them. I tried one of their 1/2" drills for mixing up a bag of thinset and it caught fire too. It was a fun finishing mixing 40lbs of mud by hand. They took it back and I bought a good tool for that job.

I have to say, that is seriously BA that you got it to burst into flames.

I would have tried exchanging the tool and saying 'I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENED?!?!?!?!' followed by lots of talk about possible lawsuits and all you wanted was to exchange the grinder...

But I am cheap like that...

Their return policy is actually pretty forgiving. I'm pretty sure that they are aware of the quality of their tools, and know how durable the tools are - and as such are willing to exchange almost no questions asked (unless it is blatantly obvious that you did something stupid like drive over it - tire treads and all).

ive seen people buy a cement mixer with the intent to use it once and return it and HF took it back...not saying its right, but with your issue you shouldnt have a problem

Latest posts

Back