How my brews landed me in the ER

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TBH, my discretionary testing ability is not so great — somewhat embarrassed to say so. I think it’s “fun” to taste it when the wort cools and at bottling time but I can’t say what am tastings means this or that. I wonder if tasting during, say, the middle of fermentation tells one anything important?
If during the fermentation I get any major off flavors, I'll extend the time in the fermenter to see if the yeast cleans them up.

I am currently undergoing a couple weeks treatment of anti fungal meds (fluconazole) pill and Nystatin rinse. I know for a fact that it was due to a one night binge drinking session of IPA beers. I ended up with oral thrush and esophageal thrush as well. Don't let anyone tell you that its impossible. Its quite common actually. One is especially susceptible after taking a course of antibiotics.
Are you a doctor?

Pretty sure the people back from 2013 especially Revvy know what they are talking about. Do you think there is any chance that if you didn’t have a single beer that night that you could have woken up thrush, one of the most common mouth infections?

Don't you want to taste the flavor profile at various stages of fermentation?

I know I do...

Not one bit, either sweet wort or finished fermentation for me. I can wait until it's done to see if it needs more time.

Not one bit, either sweet wort or finished fermentation for me. I can wait until it's done to see if it needs more time.
I agree. I never think actively fermenting beer tastes good. Some parts of the world do drink their beer when it's super young and turbid but they're usually pretty low gravity and they've been drinking it that way for a long, long, time.

German wheat beer is traditionally full of living yeast when drunk and it does not cause any harm to anyone unless allergic to something in it.

In other words, the connection between candida and brewers yeast is not there.

It was not the beer.

Back