How much yeast for a stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dttk0009

Reaction score
I have an Imperial Stout recipe planned with an OG of 1.093. I want to use my packet of S-04 with it, and after checking with Mr. Malty's pitching calculator it told me I'd need 1.3 packets.

I'm thinking that one will probably do the trick but I don't want to risk ending up with an extremely high FG. Would one packet give me enough attenuation?

When I plugged it into the calculator, I got at least 1.5 packets, if the yeast was very fresh. More if the yeast was older. For a big beer like that, I would err on the side of pitching more, not less, and go with 2 packets.

Pitch 2 packets and watch the airlock bubble with glee. I don't like Mr. Malty, When I use dry yeast I always pitch 2 packets because it's so cheap. The really important thing is to airorate really well. Pass the wort through a sieve and then pitch, it will take off in about 12h.

I made an Imperial chocolate stout and only pitched 1 packet and fermentation stalled out. I had to add a second after 3 weeks when I took my initial readings. Save yourself the trouble about having to do it later and pitch 2 upfront....

Thanks, I'll order another packet for this one then. Alternatively, I DO have a spare nottingham packet. Would it be viable to throw that in there as well? I heard it can finish quite dry. Thoughts?

I have used Notty in a stout before and it tasted quite fine. But I do prefer S04 for a stout. I would recommend just getting a second pack and using the Notty for something else

Just to update, this actually ended up fermenting so violently and quickly that it blew through my airlock within 12 hours. Totally insane! The waft of phenols I got from opening my chest freezer (temp regulator) was incredible.

It seems to have settled at 1.022 now, though I must have messed up the steeping as it isn't very black at all, rather, a dark brown. Guess I'll find out how it tastes soon. Seems 2 packets was spot on.
Cheers :)

Back