How much/when to raise temps for conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disney7

Reaction score
I'm fermenting a blond ale (Magic Hat #9 clone) with WLP002. It is cooking along well at 18.5 C right now. After primary fermentation is finished, I was planning on raising the temp a little bit to help with cleaning up any by-products.

I've read this is a good idea, is that right? How much should I raise the temp (to 19.5 or 20 C?) and when should I do it (was thinking after a week) and for how long (another week?).

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Sure, you could do that. I'd probably stay within the yeast strain's optimum temperature range, but let it get to the high end as fermentation slows.

That strain has a pretty narrow "optimum fermentation range", but you could go to 20C at the end of primary. That's usually about day 5 or so, depending on the speed of active fermentation.

From White Labs:
WLP002 English Ale Yeast
A classic ESB strain from one of England's largest independent breweries. This yeast is best suited for English style ales including milds, bitters, porters, and English style stouts. This yeast will leave a beer very clear, and will leave some residual sweetness.
Attenuation: 63-70%
Flocculation: Very High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-68°F
(18-20°C)

Back