How much wheat to cause chill haze?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankvw

Reaction score
I've been brewing all-grain beers for about 8 years now. My three latest brews were all Belgian beers which contained a small amount (about 4%) of wheat. They all developed chill haze the moment I stuck them in the fridge. (Yes, I know, these beers shouldn't be served at fridge temperatures, but that's no the point here.)

Seeing as I haven't had this problem before and these three beers all contain a small amount of wheat, my first guess would be that the wheat is the culprit here. I didn't do a protein rest, since I assumed that properly modified modern wheat malts don't really need it for such a small percentage of the grain bill. It wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong. :)

I'd suspect my brewing process (vigor of the boil, hot/cold break, efficiency of my counterflow chiller, etc) if not for the fact that this is has not happened before. I've brewed Weizen in the past which were expectedly cloudy, but given the 50% of wheat in the grain bill, that was to be expected and desired.

Hence my question: can even a small amount of wheat (<4.5%) cause chill haze? Should I incorporate a protein rest to prevent this? Would all malts benefit from a protein rest or is it just the wheat malt that would need this?

-- Edit:
I suddenly realized I've used Weyermann Pilsener malt as a base malt for these beers, while I usually base my regular beers on local pale malt (which is of a lower quality and a hint darker but still works well in general). Would the Weyermann Pilsener malt increase the risk of chill haze?

// FvW

Last edited:
If the malt in question is floor malted then yes. Look at the COA to find out. I always give floor malted grain a protein rest and decoction mash,and whirlflok in the kettle.

Doesn't take much.

It will settle out given enough time in the cold. Last I did took about three weeks in the fridge. To me it's just an appearance thing. I've never noticed a flavor benefit from letting it clear.

It's protein. You're stripping out some of the nutritious part of the beer taking it out.

All the Best,
D. White

If the malt in question is floor malted then yes. Look at the COA to find out. I always give floor malted grain a protein rest and decoction mash,and whirlflok in the kettle.
Nope, it's not floor malted, Bohemian or otherwise out of the ordinary. And I know Weyermann malts to be generally properly modified.

Doesn't take much.
Then that's probably it. I also understand that Calcium in the brewing water can make a difference, so I should also look at my water mineral additions.

It will settle out given enough time in the cold. Last I did took about three weeks in the fridge. To me it's just an appearance thing. I've never noticed a flavor benefit from letting it clear
True. However, prevention is better than fixing it afterward and that start in the brew house.

It's protein. You're stripping out some of the nutritious part of the beer taking it out.
Also true. However, if that principle would prevail we'd simply leave the spent grains in the finished beer. Very nutritious. :) Instead I prefer a reasonably clear beer. It doesn't have to be brilliant (being unfiltered and all) but at least not completely opaque.

Wheat malt can create haze, but the beer will clear with even 50% wheat malt. A lot of top hefes become clear if stored cold long enough, unless you shake and pour the yeast from the bottom.

Back