How much water to boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzbee

Reaction score
I have a AHS irish red ale kit.
It says to bring 2 1/2 gallons to 155 then steep grains.After doing all additions ,cooling and putting in fermenter,it says add cool water to bring to 5 1/4 gallons. can we initailly boil a larger batch of water,say 4 gallons instead of 2 1/2? Or will it make a difference in the end product?
I thought maybe they do it this way so it's easier to boil if you do it on a stove top.
Thanks,Ken

I thought this was odd about the AHS kits as well. I usually do the 5 gallon full boil since the extract dilutes quicker and I won't risk burning it as much. Plus I like the idea of boiling it all for sanity purposes. Starting at 5 gallons, I still had to add a half gallon fresh at the end, so I guess you still need too, but I have a propane burner.. if I was indoors for the boil, 2.5 gallons sure makes it easier to get going on a kitchen stove.

the kit is designed for 2.5 gallons. all the math for hops additions and boil times has already been done for you. if you changed the amount of water to 4 gallons you will lower the boil gravity which will raise the bitterness you get from the hops.

Latest posts

Back