how much water in the airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catalina

Reaction score
I'm noticing that as fermentation is taking place, the air is being expelled out of the airlock. Should I refill the airlock with water? (I'd just pour some in) I'm afraid that soon the airlock will have no water at all . . .

Technically it's co2 not air. Is there not a little cover on the airlock? If you need to refill it there's no problem...as to how much, there's usually a little etched line on the plastic.

I've had one or two fermentations that were vigorous enough to blow some sanitizer out of the airlock. I usually just top it up with some more water. No issues at all.

Good luck!

Airlocks are designed to allow the CO2 to be exhausted without affecting the amount of water in the airlock. If you are worried, you can check the airlock once per day, and if the water level is getting low, you can add some more. You will eventually realize that this in not usually necessary. However, if krausen is being forced into the airlock, you may want to replace the airlock with a blow off tube until fermentation calms down a bit.

-a.

Yes, when no pressure is present, I use te etched line. When fermentation is going and there is CO2 pressure present, I fill the airlock up to the neck on mine.

Back