How might I best put this? Doctors, Nurses, phD's describe the auto-suffocating cough.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue-Frog

Reaction score
As 1 symptom of covid, I experiencd a particularially unforgiving form of cough...
We normally have a small degree of controll over our coughs. But in the coughing I just went through, I was repeatedly concerned if I would ever breath again.

Imagine Black Sabbath's "Sweet Leaf" opening cough... after each cough, 60-90% of air is expelled, but instead of refilling, the next cough expells another 60-90% and so on for what seemed to be about 8 or more times... each time the ? muscle/diaphragm controlling coughing, squeezing tighter and tighter and never relaxing enough to take in a new breath... so fears of passing out or worse, suffocating fill my head. My question, is is there a special term for this form of compulsory coughing? Can it actually lead to unconsciousness? death? What muscle is the villian here... it seems to be very low seated... behind or below the belly button... i imagine Audrey being taught how to speek properly or how sing to project.... Finally, is there a better way to describe this condition? Doctors around here don't seem to have time for such drawn-out descriptions.

Last edited:
I can verify that something like this happens with Pertussis (Whooping Cough.) Had it in 2012 (get your boosters folks, the original vaccination doesn't stay effective forever.) Worst and longest lasting cough I have ever had. I actually did pass out several times from coughing.

@Blue-Frog : I hope you are feeling better.

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back