How much washed yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dankev

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been answered, but I'm having trouble finding it. I washed some Wyeast 1056, and I now have 3 1 liter jars of it. I'm going to make EdWort's Rye IPA this weekend, and I'd like to use the washed yeast. However, I have no idea how much to use, and if I should be making a starter for it. The recipe is for an OG of 1.064.

Here's 1 of the jars. The yeast is 5/8-3/4" thick, and the band just above it is just the curvature of the jar (making it look funky):
dBBKJ.jpg

My rule of thumb is to use about a quarter of the cake for a beer of similar gravity. So 1 jar should be sufficient.

Starter: depends on when you harvested the yeast. If within a week, just straight pitch. If over a month, make a starter. In between those; it's up to your own confidence in the yeast and your storage practices.

I'm sure this has been answered, but I'm having trouble finding it. I washed some Wyeast 1056, and I now have 3 1 liter jars of it. I'm going to make EdWort's Rye IPA this weekend, and I'd like to use the washed yeast. However, I have no idea how much to use, and if I should be making a starter for it. The recipe is for an OG of 1.064.

Here's 1 of the jars. The yeast is 5/8-3/4" thick, and the band just above it is just the curvature of the jar (making it look funky):
dBBKJ.jpg

Go to Mrmalty.com, plug in the data on your beer, select "pitching from slurry" and it will tell you exactly how much to pitch!

Back