How much to tip on a haircut?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
I my hair is kind of weird and (so I have been told) hard to cut. I usually go to one of the el cheapo places and get my haircut. It can be really hit or miss. I have had some OK cuts and some really terrible cuts (probably should have refused to pay). So I am going to suck it up and go to a nice place to get my hair cut. Not crazy expensive but more than I have paid for a haircut. One thing I am not sure about is the tip....

Flat rate?
Percentage of the cost?
What percent?

What is the standard and what are others doing?

I am kind of cheap, so I tend to under-tip, but I know people are trying to make a living and all.

If my haircut is 20-25 bucks, I tip 4-5. It seems reasonable to me. I always tip on the higher end of norms, though.

The place a go to is a true barber shop. I have been getting my hair cut by the same guy for atleast 4 years now. I think they normall charge $14 for a cut but he only charges me $11. I will just give him $15. That is probably a somewhat big tip but he does a really good job.

I'm typically a very generous tipper... I get my hair cut at this 'barber shop', which I guess it really is a barber shop because no appointments are necessary, you just walk in and wait until a chair is available... It just doesn't really feel like a barber shop because there are no old men in there BS'ing, it's run by a bunch of little asian ladies. They are always very fast, friendly, and know how a high-and-tight is supposed to be cut. I think their rate is $14 or $15, I just give them a $20 and let 'em keep it.

Yeah my flat rate tip for a cut is $5.00; but if they are really quick and make the time enjoyable (good talk, great haircut, and if the place has other perks such as a beer and a game while getting a cut) I will tip extra; but normally not to exceed $10 on tip. I guess my tipping is almost 50%.

if the place has other perks such as a beer and a game while getting a cut...

Where is this wonderful place!!?

At my barber shop it is $12 for a men's cut. I tip $2. Never really thought about it. It's a normal Men's Barber shop though. As far as bad cuts, there are 4 guys there I will let cut my hair, and 3 I will not. When you sign your name though you can put in parenthesis who you want to cut it. then you just wait till they're available.

Ok, I can weigh in since my swmbo has been cutting hair for 20+ years. She says, that 10-15% is acceptable. We live in the South were a lot of people don't even tip her.

but if they are really quick and make the time enjoyable (good talk, great haircut, and if the place has other perks such as a beer and a game while getting a cut) I will tip extra; but normally not to exceed $10 on tip. I guess my tipping is almost 50%.

Apparently a barbershop opened near me that give you a free beer while you wait. They also have a walk in humidor. I am really tempted to take the 30 minute drive and check it out.

I got three local barber shops where a beer is given with every haircut. They always have sports on or some other "guy" themed show/movie. Two of the places the barbers all are women who could pass for Hooter waitresses in looks and outfits. It's not a small wonder when you go in to expect a slight cut and you come out with alot more off the top then expected....

I prefer in my area since its close by work:
http://www.knockouts.net/

Feature article on the fad of Men oriented barber shops...
http://hamptonroads.com/node/482473

I think my haircuts are about $13. I go to a place with some ladies that I'm used to and they do a good enough job on my hair. I usually give them a $20 and let them keep the $5 bill from the change. Unless I forgot about my last appointment, in which I always offer to let them keep the whole change. I figure it's worth it to make up for the missed appointment.

It's probably more than the normal amount, but I don't mind.

I tip 20% on everything, short of bad food service. Of course if the kitchen is slow that's not the servers fault and doesn't reflect on my tip. If my drink is empty for 5 minutes and the restaurant is slow they are getting 15%.

I tip 20% on everything, short of bad food service. Of course if the kitchen is slow that's not the servers fault and doesn't reflect on my tip. If my drink is empty for 5 minutes and the restaurant is slow they are getting 15%.

+1 My family has been in various service industries over the years. Normally, the wait staff, hair dressers/barbers depend heavily on their tips and bust their a$$ to get them. The only difference is if the service is poor, I'll leave 10%, but I'll say something to the server or manager. Especially, as a manager, I wanted to know.

I am particular about my hair stylist. I always used to go to an el cheapo place and was constantly pissed because my hair looked awful. When I got a real job I decided to start getting regular haircuts from a nice place. I tried a few different stylists and finally found one who was competent, nice, and affordable. My advice is to make sure that you get a stylist who is not new. Unless you ask, you always get stuck with the new stylists or the less skillful ones. Specifically ask to have someone with good experience cutting men's hair and if they have a price scale go with at least the second tier.

You may not feel "manly" going to a girly stylist shop, but trust me it is worth it. Awesome hair wash with a nice shoulder/head/neck rub and then a very good hair cut that you are happy about.

On topic, I pay 18% tip. My total for my haircut comes out to about $35. I always schedule for over my lunch break and it is always a great day. I nice head massage does wonders in the middle of a hectic day.

My total for my haircut comes out to about $35.

I'm too cheap for that. My hair grows fast. When I was in the public eye, I would get a haircut (trim) every other Friday. That way, I had the week end if I missed. Avg. probably $15 each time.

I go to any cheapo place and I'll tip $3. Most the people I see will only tip $1 so I guess I'm being generous. About one every 3 months I'll go to a nicer place. The one I go to is really good. I tip $10 on a $20 haircut. She gives me a scalp massage and will use a straight razor. Really great.

I got the easiest haircut in the world, use the 0 trimmer. I tip $2 on a $10 haircut.

You may not feel "manly" going to a girly stylist shop, but trust me it is worth it. Awesome hair wash with a nice shoulder/head/neck rub and then a very good hair cut that you are happy about.

Plus a nice set of boobs in your face aint bad either.:)

I my hair is kind of weird and (so I have been told) hard to cut. I usually go to one of the el cheapo places and get my haircut. It can be really hit or miss. I have had some OK cuts and some really terrible cuts (probably should have refused to pay). So I am going to suck it up and go to a nice place to get my hair cut. Not crazy expensive but more than I have paid for a haircut. One thing I am not sure about is the tip....

Flat rate?
Percentage of the cost?
What percent?

I am kind of cheap, so I tend to under-tip, but I know people are trying to make a living and all.

4-5 bucks.If she is good looking with big b**bs maybe 7 to 10 and my phone number!

I found an el cheapo place just full of attractive girls. I think its about ideal that even though this place is almost as cheap as it gets, they always give me a great cut. My hair is easy, I'm going bald so I almost always get a #1 all around. I'd do it myself but I can't seem to get the neckline right no matter how many mirrors I use. Cuts are 12, I give them 15. I figure that a 25% tip is adequate for my haircut. Besides, the eye candy is worth it. And they do a damn good job on my kids hair. Been going there for almost 4 years now.

Yeah, I guess that is about what I was thinking. They charge $25 for the hair cut I was going to tip $5.

This place is a "barber shop" but more hip than the old-timey places. They seem to have guys (and gals) working there that really know what they are doing and specialize in cutting men's hair. (Unlike one place I went last summer, I would be surprised if the woman could cut paper straight.)

haircut is $15, i usually give a $20. But i go to the same guy around the corner every time. i think a lot people usually give $2-3 tip

I don't normally tip the hair cutters. I go in and get a #7 buzz. It takes them 10 minutes tops and I pay $12 at a Cool Cuts type place.

Flat rate?
Percentage of the cost?
What percent?

I always tip a buck or 2.

$25 before tip? i thought 15 was expensive

It is a little more expensive but seeing how when I pay $15 I tend to get nothing but crap haircuts, what can I do? Plus, I only get my hair cut once every 4 months or so.

Haircuts are like anything else in life, you get what you pay for. My wife has people that drive from OTHER states to get their hair done. Crazy in my book, but it pays the bills.

She also is booked a solid 6 months in advance, one thing southern women will not go without is a hairdo.:fro:

I just give them a $20 and let 'em keep it.

Mine too. $13 hair cut, plus a few dollars to trim my beard and I give him a $20. Barber shop, been going there for awhile now.

I do watch what others tip and it's usually 1-2 dollars.

I bought clippers a good 3 years ago. I think they cost 11-12 bucks and I haven't paid since. It really doesn't take any skill to do an average man's haircut. I see no reason to pay for it... Thats what a SWMBO is for.

I got three local barber shops where a beer is given with every haircut. They always have sports on or some other "guy" themed show/movie. Two of the places the barbers all are women who could pass for Hooter waitresses in looks and outfits. It's not a small wonder when you go in to expect a slight cut and you come out with alot more off the top then expected....

I prefer in my area since its close by work:
http://www.knockouts.net/
Awesome, coming to Ohio soon. Hope it's at least in Columbus and no cincy or cleveland.

I've yet to understand why everyone is so tip happy when someone is just doing their job!!!???

Do you get a tip every time you do your job?

Some jobs are based on tips and you realize that when you use their services. Would you rather them just UP the standard cost of a haircut and not accept tips. Then whats the motivation to do a great job? They can butcher you, and still get paid the same.
That's why tips are on Service type jobs.

Back