How much star san?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcdowd

Reaction score
I bought a 28 ounce spray bottle to make star san solution. Wondering how much star san to put in? Based on the 1 ounce per 5 gallons suggested, I calculated about 1/4 teaspoon. Has anyone made a solution this small?

I'll make my half batchto sanitise my bottles then fill my spray bottle from the bucket:mug:

This. I've read here that the solution should be replenished, so every time we brew I re-fill the spray bottle.

However, I've only read that the bottle is effective for a few months here. Does anyone have pointers to how/why the solution loses its effectiveness, and how long this takes?

It's tougher to be accurate in proportion the smaller the batch of anything you mix. I mix Star Stan in a gallon jug, using just up to the lowest mark on the measurement chamber on the bottle it comes in, says 1/4. Has worked fine for four years now. I just pour what I need into a spray bottle, and the remainder of the StarSan mix keeps indefinitely.

Clann said:
I'll make my half batchto sanitise my bottles then fill my spray bottle from the bucket:mug:

I would do this but I want to use distilled water in the spray bottle, so it keeps longer.

I would do this but I want to use distilled water in the spray bottle, so it keeps longer.

I have to use RO water to make all my SS, because our well water has so much iron & calcium in it that it will neutralize the Star San immediately. RO water from the grocery store makes a Star San solution that keeps indefinitely (has a pH <4).

rico567 said:
I have to use RO water to make all my SS, because our well water has so much iron & calcium in it that it will neutralize the Star San immediately. RO water from the grocery store makes a Star San solution that keeps indefinitely (has a pH <4).

Thought the pH had to be lower than 3?

It is much harder to get the correct ratio when mixing very small volumes.

I buy 2.5 gallon jugs of distilled water, add 1/2 oz of StarSan and refill spray bottles from it until it's gone.

I don't put anythng inside the jug to sanitize or add any "used" starsan back into the jug.

Ed

I keep my Star San solution in a keg, 5 gal worth. I check it with a ph strip when I need to use it. Then pour it back into the keg and reseal the top. It's been about 4 months and it still checks fine, still creates a nice foam.

Ohio-Ed said:
It is much harder to get the correct ratio when mixing very small volumes.

I buy 2.5 gallon jugs of distilled water, add 1/2 oz of StarSan and refill spray bottles from it until it's gone.

I don't put anythng inside the jug to sanitize or add any "used" starsan back into the jug.

Ed

Great idea, I'll pick up some at my local store. Thanks!

Back