How much O2 is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cokronk

Reaction score
I've had a blow off tube on my carboy for nearly two weeks before I put the airlock on as there was residue from the krausen stuck to the aide and I thought that it was still the krausen. When I removed the tube it smelled like straight alcohol almost. It's a Belgian ale true brew kit.

Also, what do I do with the krausen residue on the top of the carboy? Leave it and when it's ready to keg, hope it doesn't fall in the beer when siphoning?

Can the nearly two weeks with a blow off tube let enough O2 in to affect the beer and if so, what will it do to the beer?

If the other end of your blowoff tube was in a glass of sanitizer or the like you should be fine as long as you have a good seal on the tube at your fermenter

always put a blow off in water (at least) to seal the system. however your yeast will put out a layer of co2 to almost seal your beer. look up belgian open ferementation (spelling)

you should be fine I had a pale ale that did'nt have a full seal on the bucket smelled hot alcohol... drank great... alcohol is lighter than water and comes to the top. rack it and you'll be fine

That's what I thought. Fg is supposed to have about 4.8abv, but it smelled more like a dog fish head 120.

By the way, I'm a huge procrastinator, so my first beer is still 5 weeks in the primary waiting on the keg an keezer to arrive. I like this hobby.

So what do I do with the Krausen stuck to the top side of the carboy above the liquid? Will it come off if I do something like accidentally bump it, or is it a permanent fixture until I remove it with a brush?

So what do I do with the Krausen stuck to the top side of the carboy above the liquid? Will it come off if I do something like accidentally bump it, or is it a permanent fixture until I remove it with a brush?

It should be pretty well stuck on there. Don't disturb it when you rack the beer, and it'll be fine.

it's pretty sticky even with a good bump it will stay stuck. Just as an fyi I don't use anything more abrasive than a paper towel on plastic buckets, and most scrubbing I just use my hand, and oxiclean solution (1 scoup to 5 gal.) after a short soak everything seems to come off really easy.

after a really really black beer I may use a bleach rinse, but not necessary.

Back