How much o2 does siphoning actually impart?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan Logo

Reaction score
I've been fermenting in buckets for awhile now and wanted to get some input as to how you guys that ferment in buckets feel about siphoning. The craze nowadays is closed transfers so I've been doing closed loop transfers with light psi, but tbh, I get a whole bunch of trub in my kegs due to the spigot having no filter/being so low.

So my main question is, how do you transfer your beer into your kegs, and if you siphon, do you feel there is any oxidation that occurs?

I've been fermenting in buckets for awhile now and wanted to get some input as to how you guys that ferment in buckets feel about siphoning. The craze nowadays is closed transfers so I've been doing closed loop transfers with light psi, but tbh, I get a whole bunch of trub in my kegs due to the spigot having no filter/being so low.

So my main question is, how do you transfer your beer into your kegs, and if you siphon, do you feel there is any oxidation that occurs?
Yes, if your not closed transferring into purge kegs you are certainly experiencing oxidation. To what extent depends on a quite a few variables. If you brew a lot of hoppy beers or very light colored lagers with subtle nuances, you will see a greater impact from oxidation.

I don’t have the link saved but there is a thread that pretty active where a HBT member used different bottling techniques to minimize o2 pick up and the result he posts with pictures of the beers is very compelling that you should minimize o2 pick up as much as possible.

I don’t have the link saved but there is a thread that pretty active where a HBT member used different bottling techniques to minimize o2 pick up and the result he posts with pictures of the beers is very compelling that you should minimize o2 pick up as much as possible.

Darn! I'll have to look up that thread! I might just have to rig something up to where I can insert a racking cane or something into the lid of my bucket so I can pick up my beer from the top instead of the spigot.

The fix the to the "trub" issue:
1. Use a floating dip tube.
- and/or -
2. Transfer less trub to the fermenter (only clear wort).

When I setup the buckets that have a spigot, I use the angled piece from broken siphons. Shove it into a stopper, shove that into the back of the spigot. Twist to whatever level you need. Could probably slide a diptube screen over it too. Hoppy stuff goes into the keg fitted with a floating diptube, as stated by RPh.

Darn! I'll have to look up that thread! I might just have to rig something up to where I can insert a racking cane or something into the lid of my bucket so I can pick up my beer from the top instead of the spigot.
If you buy a 7 gallon fermonster, a pressure transfer kit from from Fermozilla, and some fitting and hosing, for right around $70 you can create a semi unitank with a close transfer

Last edited:
Back