How much Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mew

Reaction score
I was planning on making a medium-bodied ale with a firly high alcohol content. Is 8 lbs of hopped LME too much for the yeast to handle? I think I'm going to do 4 lbs light LME and 4 lbs amber LME. I think that would get me up to 7 or 8 percent alcohol.

Most yeast can easily handle 7-8%. It's once you pass 10% that you can start to worry about shutdown. I've had Nottingham dry ferment out a barleywine to 12.5%, no prob.

mew said:
I was planning on making a medium-bodied ale with a firly high alcohol content. Is 8 lbs of hopped LME too much for the yeast to handle? I think I'm going to do 4 lbs light LME and 4 lbs amber LME. I think that would get me up to 7 or 8 percent alcohol.

My calculations show that 8 lbs of LME in a 5 gallon batch will get you close to 5.5% ABV.

For anything with an ABV up between 7% and 8%, you're likely going to have a full-bodied beer.

8 lbs will only get you in the pale ale range. Use at least 10 lbs if you are going to use LME. If you go with hopped LME, consider adding more hops.

If you are going to use 8 lbs of hopped LME, are you using 2 or 3 cans? Most canned kits that are hopped have an amount of hops added to suit a style. Adding twice as much will double the hop additons. Perhaps you don't want that.

I'd like to add more, but LME (and DME) gets expensive really quickly. I'll recalculate alcohol percentage.

Back