How much light is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewstaedt

Reaction score
I'm fermenting an APA in the semi - controlled conditions of my crawlspace(60f-64f) with S-04. It is not completely dark because of the foundation vents, but is still reasonably dark. I haven't wrapped the carboy with a towel because I like to be able to just open the crawlspace cover and check on the wort without actually crawling under the house. So is dim indirect light a concern?

Direct light, especially sunlight is of serious concern for having light struck beer. That being the case, dim light is definitely not as bad.

I'd go ahead and wrap it in an old sheet or blanket or something to be sure. It's an easy fix and losing a batch is much worse than having to go a little further to check on your beer.

I've heard that light is only a real concern when using whole leaf hops. The light breaks down the hops quicker or something like that. Any information/truth to this?

Any form of hop plant matter. The light activates the chlorophyl in hops particles causing skunking. You can avoid it by using hop extracts like some of the big commercial guys!

I've heard that light is only a real concern when using whole leaf hops. The light breaks down the hops quicker or something like that. Any information/truth to this?

I've had plenty of beers that got a fair amount of indirect sunlight sitting uncovered near a window. I have not noticed any difference when compared to beers which were kept covered the entire time. That being said, why not cover them?

Back