How much is too much ethyl-acetate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvetter

Reaction score
Does anyone have any empirical information on how much is too much?

I ask because I have a wine barrel (59 gal) in its 4th year of solera with lambic style beer. We tasted this in June/July and it had a strong solvent flavor. We tried it again in Jan and the solvent was pretty much all gone. Just to be sure I took a sample and sent it into White Labs to test for ethyl-acetate. The results came back as 294.36 ppm of ethyl-acetate. This seems high to me, but it was very drinkable when we last tried it.

I have had little success finding perceptibly levels of ethyl-acetate online, the highest currently says 160 mg/L which is apparently the same as 160 ppm (please correct me if I am wrong).

My plan after the last tasting was to blend it with a little fresh lambic and/or funky base beer to improve the overall flavor, but now I am wondering if a dump and barrel reset is in order.

Any thoughts?

https://lifesciences.byu.edu/portals/6/docs/ethylacetate.pdf

RTECS#:
CAS# 141-78-6: AH5425000
LD50/LC50:
CAS# 141-78-6:
Inhalation, mouse: LC50 = 45 gm/m3/2H;
Inhalation, rat: LC50 = 200 gm/m3;
Oral, mouse: LD50 = 4100 mg/kg;
Oral, rabbit: LD50 = 4935 mg/kg;
Oral, rat: LD50 = 5620 mg/kg;
Skin, rabbit: LD50 = >20 mL/kg;

Is all I can find. I suppose it's one of those, if you can taste it, it's too much kind of things.

If you can recognize it as ethyl acetate then its too much. I think Wild Brews has some tables in it with approximate threshold levels? Dint have book w me right now.

Back