how much is to much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8+ lbs of malt is gonna make a fairly heavy beer. I would go at least double the hops , if not more. Something like 2oz at 60min and save that Cascade for the last 5 min. But without any steeped grains it will taste a bit off I think.

As planned, you'll have a very heavy Pale, low bitterness, low hop flavor, low aroma, high ABV. Not my idea of good, but to each their own. To balance it a bit better, I'd add an ounce of a high AA hop at 60 minutes and split the Cascades at 15 & 5.

spottedbass said:
same as above with only one 3.3 pound can lme instead of two?
Based on what I'm seeing as your recipe:
3.3 lbs LME
2 lbs DME
.75 oz. Cascade hops at 45 min left
.25 oz. Cascade hops at 5 min left
According to Qbrew you should have a starting gravity of 1.042, and if fermented to 1.010 you'll have a 4%ABV, IBU of 21, and a recipe color of 11. That color might be darker depending on how long you boil all that extract. I'm sure someone else more experienced can chime in here, but based solely on what I've read here it'd be beneficial to hold off on adding the DME until maybe that last 5 min when you add the .25 oz Cascade for aromatics.

Qbrew is available for free.

ETA:
If you go with all the LME...
Style: Generic Ale
Batch: 5.00 galExtract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.066 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 19 IBU
Recipe Color: 12° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.016
Alcohol by Volume: 6.3%