How much is this effecting my boil time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewpug

Reaction score
I'm currently brewing in the kitchen. A good midpoint between fuller boils and increased boiling time seems to be 3 - 3.5 gallons. Still, with this quantity, it can add another 10 minutes after removing the kettle from heat, stirring in my extract, and bringing it back up to a boil. Let's say it even takes 20 minutes from flame out to boil. Is this adding to my boil time? Or is the temp not high enough to change anything during this time? If this 20 minutes does count toward the boil, is it really going to change the beer much?

I add 75% DME at flameout, so I'm not worried about over-darkening.
:mug:

I'm confused. Is this the first addition of extract before the boil? If so, why does it matter how much time it takes to get to the boil, if you haven't added any hops yet?

OR is this the late addition? If it is the late addition, why are you bringing it back to the boil. Just add at flame out, and when dissolved, start cooling.

Thanks! I'm back to brewing after a long hiatus and it looks like I'm over thinking things. Thanks for making me see the stupidity in my question. Happy brewing :)

Back