How Much is - "Almost Done"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinb

Reaction score
I am brewing a double chocolate stout. It is fermenting very nice. This is the first time I use Wyeast. VERY active airlock. I like this yeast.

The recipe calls for racking onto chocolate nibs in a secondary when fermentation is "almost done". I know how to take measurements to determine when it is done, but what is your definition of almost? Is it recommended to transfer before fermentation is 100% complete so there will be C02 in the secondary? Is there a risk with doing the transfer too early?

Almost done would be .01 away from what fg should be. I have never heard of transferring till fermentation is done. Will it hurt? Some will tell you fermentation can stall, others will say there is still enough yeast in suspension to finish the job. I say I do not know never tried it.

My first stout I did was a kit and it also said to transfer to secondary in 5-7 days or when fermentation slows. That stout never hit the FG number it should have as a result. Now IF I secondary I always wait at least 14 days in the primary before transferring.

I wouldn't worry about catching it "almost" done. Just give it time to work and transfer it when it is close or there. You won't be disappointed either way, I'd wager.

Any concerns with oxidation if I wait "too long" to transfer?

Any concerns with oxidation if I wait "too long" to transfer?

Oxidation can't occur in a properly sealed fermentation container.

The oxidation risk occurs WHEN you transfer! Just leave the fermenter sealed up until you are ready to transfer and it will be fine. A lot of people let it go in the primary fermenter 1-2 months with no issues and this actually helps the beer clear up and mellow out aging it a bit longer than the minimum. :mug:

I have a different idea. Why transfer to secondary? My stout seemed to mature pretty quickly by leaving it on the yeast cake. If you need to free up a fermenter, a new bucket with lid and airlock is only about $15.

Use a racking cane and be careful, I've never had any issues there, other places, but not there.

Back