How much idophor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau815

Reaction score
It says 3/10ths of an ounce but how much is that? I saw some pictures with yellow water mine is still clear after two small bottle cap fulls in two gallons. Is this enough to sanitize?

If anyone can help I'm waiting on an answer before I brew with a few friends and family in an hour or so.

I just use the cap that comes with the idopher. Fill it about half way or a hair over half, and add it to a gallon of water. I read somewhere that it should be the color of say Pabst or your standard American Lager.

thank you... its weird though i added like 2 caps and its only maybe 2 gal and it diluted and looks like water... hmm... i also have the small bottle so the cap is smaller. The lhbs said it would last me forever...it does however smell like a pool/hospital or whatever, so maybe its enough... just added another half cap and its dirty water color, not quite like a pilsner but close enough. :)

most people use WAY TOO MUCH of the stuff -- use it according to the directions -- seriously, read the ingredients and what effects they can have on you in full concentration.

This isn't the time to use the America motto - if 1 capful is good --- 17 is better :drunk:

Again - read the ingredients and warnings on the label and follow the label.

/end public service announcement

I do about 1 cap full per gallon, as previously mentioned. Here's what it usually looks like:
brew2_004.jpg

If it calls for 3/10th's of an ounce that it is less than 1 tablespoon. A Tablespoon is half an ounce (5/10th's).

Go to tractor supply or any farm equipment store and get a 3 CC syringe. It is the perfect amount per gallon.

On my package, it says 1 tsp. per 2.5 gallons of water

Mine says the same thing, however I usually do 1 cap for every 1.5 gallons. I am thinking of switching to star-san though. Mainly because I am shall I say anal about sanitization and would like to know that my stuff is coated, I shall not fear the foam!

I recently listened to this radio show all about Iodophor and sanitization in general. Its an interview with one of the top manufacturers of Iodophor. He says that people use way too much of the stuff. Once you go over the recommended ratio, you pass "sanitization" and enter "disinfection". Once that happens, it will actually start to attack your yeast (though I think he said the yeast should win that fight in the long run since they reproduce so rapidly). Making your water an amber color is an overkill.

It was a really great listen, and has helped me to better regulate my water/Iodophor ratio. check it out HERE

I have the 32 oz container of BTF and it states 1 capfull per 5 gallons. The cap is much larger than the small 4oz bottles. The recommended amount is 3 ml per gallon. Also Iododopher is made by many companies and they may or may not be the same concentration of iodine per oz so follow the package

The bottle should have the appropriate concentration. I remember using two capfuls for 5 gallons of water. If you used two capfuls on 2 gallons then that is probably too high of a concentration but I am basing that on the BTF Iodophor that I used to use. I too have switched to Star San. I like the built in measuring device and the lack of staining. I used to get Iodophor on my hands and wonder when it would wear off. Get it on a white T-shirt and it's staying there. Star San costs a little more but the price of convenience is often a worthwhile expense in my experience.

yeah i have btf too, thanks alot guys, and i think ill switch to starsan, i didnt because of price and didnt know the benefits of it.

I switched to Starsan about 4-5 months ago . I still have an almost full bottle of BTF. I use it when I need a fair amount of sanitizer . My wife uses it around the house also, much cheaper than commercial sanitizers.

Back