How much gypsum in partial boil/partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danno_lee

Reaction score
I am doing my first partial mash today, and I was wondering if I could implore you fine folks for a bit of advice on the use of gypsum. I am brewing a 5 gallon Paulaner Hefe-Weizen clone. My largest pot is 5 gallons, so I am doing a 3.5 gallon partial boil. In order to get my mineral levels where I want them (59mg/l Ca++ and 122mg/l SO4-) I am to use 3 grams of gypsum for the 5 gallons of water.
Do I add all 3 grams to my 1 gallon of mash water, or should I add 0.6g to the mash water, 0.6g to the sparge water, 0.9g to the 1.5 gallons that I am adding for the boil, and 0.9g to the top off water?:confused:

It depends.... I'd recommend using the EZ water calculator.

Also, I prefer to use Calcium chloride in malty beers. I use Gypsum in the hoppy ones.

That is a rather high sulfate target for brewing a Hefe. I would target a far lower concentration. Also remember that extract already has some minerals in it from the original mashing by the maltster. So you wouldn't want to add to much more mineral content to your water. You can pick up more information on the Water Knowledge page of the Bru'n Water website.

Latest posts

Back