How Much Grain??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willie3

Reaction score
What is the best ratio to use to yeild the best amount of sugar needed to brew from Grains. In other words, how many grains should you normally use to brew a 5.5 gal batch?

7,8,9,10,11,12?

- WW

There are a lot of variables--the potential gravity of the grains (which vary by brand, type, year-to-year, etc) and the efficiency of your brewery.

Let's say that your grains average 1.034 per pound per gallon of potential gravity points, and you have an efficiency of 70%.

1 pound of grain in a 5.5 gallon batch will therefore yield 4.327 gravity points:

(34/5.5) * .7 = 4.327

So,

7 lbs grain = about 1.030
8 lbs grain = about 1.034
9 lbs grain = about 1.039
10 lbs grain = about 1.043
11 lbs grain = about 1.048
12 lbs grain = about 1.052

etc

Most of my beers are in the 45-55 OG range. More for IPAs, big beers, etc. There's really no ideal--it depends on beer style and your preference.

My ales are generally in the 9-12 lb range. The amount of sugar you get (efficiency) per pound is a function how you mash and sparge, not how much grain.

cw, you may know this already, but the kinds of grains will have an effect on the end product as well. A typical batch of ale for me would have:

8-10 lbs two-row
1/4- 1 lb crystal, cara-pils or other "body"malts
0-1 lb dark malts (usually just a few oz for IPA's and such)

SG's range from about 54-65, TG's about 10-14.

I like the drier, less sweet beers, so I go pretty easy on the crystal and mash at pretty low temps....

hope this is helpful.

p

wilsonwj said:
What is the best ratio to use to yeild the best amount of sugar needed to brew from Grains. In other words, how many grains should you normally use to brew a 5.5 gal batch?

7,8,9,10,11,12?

- WW

Are you asking about the weight of the grain, or how many different types of grains?

Back