How much grain can I cram into a 10G igloo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbaesl

Reaction score
So I was researching some big beers last night, and I saw an interesting recipe for a Strong Scottish Ale on Beersmith. It called for 26 lbs of grain. Which got me to thinking, could I even do that with the equipment that I have? I use a 10 G Igloo cooler as my mash-tun, would it fit? And what do you think is the highest I could go?

On another note;

Even if the "Can I Mash it" calculator says you could get 92lbs of Grain in your 10 Gallon Igloo with .5qts/lb water what it won't tell you is

Can you sparge it?

Even 30lbs of grain is a lot of weight held in a tight column. Think about your false bottom, braid, or whatever you have in the bottom of the tun for wort collection and the effect of all that weight on it.

Will it collapse under the weight and heat?

I have had a dome stainless steel false bottom collapse under the weight of 30 pounds of grain in a Keggle. It ain't fun, let me tell ya'.

So, consider whether or not you can get any runnings from that much grain in your system because there is nothing worse than looking down onto 30 pounds of converted grain and not being able to get the wort out.

Thanks for the info guys, looks like a nice website. And I don't want to even imagine a stuck sparge with 30 lbs of grain bed, I'd cry.

Mark

You should be OK. I mashed ~27 lbs in my 10 gallon Igloo for the 09-09-09 Barleywine (but it was TO THE BRIM). I had to collect runnings in two pots though, because my normal boil pot is only 9 gallons.

I have a 10G round cooler too. I am using a false bottom and my first and only AG I had 14LB of grain which fit great, but I don't think I would want to go any higher than about 17-18LBs.

If I plan on going any higher than that I am going to have to get something like this:

Walmart.com: Coleman 70-Quart Xtreme Marine Cooler: Camping

70qt will give you 75% more room that you have now. They have a 100 and 150 qt size too if you want to do a double batch 52 lbs of grain :rockin:

You could just go with 20lbs or so and then add some malt extract to make up the difference.

I have fit 26lbs in my 12 gallon igloo cooler at a 1.25qt/lb ratio. That is the absolute most I would ever do.

Back