How much do you drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually go with 1-2 on a weeknight and probably 12 on the weekend. However, I'm almost ready to bottle my first batch and need bottles. More reason then ever to chug down a sixer every night :)

2-3 12 oz. a night, usually after the toddler has gone to bed. Doesn't really change much on the weekends. Occasionally one or two more, depending on what's going on. I don't drink while brewing. Too much to pay attention to, and I don't want to end up with a bad batch because I forgot some step in brewing or sanitation.

I'm a college student and how much I drink depends on how much money/beer I have. If I have beer and I'm not saving it for a weekend or a get-together, then I'll usually have 2-3 drinks at the end of the night (usually during a movie) on weekdays. But this usually only happens 2-3 nights out of the weekdays. If I am alone on weekends, I may have 2-4 or none at all. If I am with people, I average 4-5.

I find my consumption cycles directly with my motivation of "staying healthy." During weeks where I am exercising nightly, I may go the whole week with only a couple of pints (weekends are ALWAYS a wildcard though). Weeks like this week, where I am not particularly eating healthy, and not going to the gym as often as I like, I'll take down 2-3 pints a night.

Brew days are always beer filled though. Me and my brew buddy almost took down a case of my homebrew last time. (12 - 22 oz bottles) Needless to say, by the time we got to chilling the wort, I didn't know which way was up, and realized that I had forgot to add the second half of my malt extract at knockout.

I drink one or two pints a day. I'm not an alcoholic, but I sure do need my beer after a long day of work and when I have grad school at night. I start to drool when I get about a mile away from home. I think my wife understands it's part of my unwinding routine.

I loled @ drool

If I brew alone I rarely drink during it. If I'm brewing with a buddy, basically someone I can direct once I can't see any longer, forget it.

I drink one or two pints a day. I'm not an alcoholic, but I sure do need my beer after a long day of work and when I have grad school at night. I start to drool when I get about a mile away from home. I think my wife understands it's part of my unwinding routine.

I'm not the only one then! My kegs are in my garage, about a foot away from the door to the house. Chilled glasses in the freezer. I have a beer in my hand before I step foot in my house :D.

Most nights I'm in a blackout so I really don't know how much I drink...:drunk:

On a serious note, I really don't think about it too much. If I want a beer, I drink it. If I want 6 and it happens to be a weeknight, so be it. On most Saturdays I like to drink until the wee hours of Sunday morning though.

I'm on a college student budget, so maybe a beer a night if I can justify buying a case for the next week or two. Weekends I'll have a few throughout the day, again if there's any beer in the fridge.

As for parties, I try and limit it to a six pack. It's all about the budget these days :(

Beer and wine are just fine, I don't touch the hard stuff anymore. Some mornings I have a beer for breakfast. My favorite is Bear Republic Racer5, which I am enjoying right now. I hope to get to the point where I produce all the beer I want for a daily habit. And then explore new flavors to improve my homebrewing. I also hope to make beer better than I can buy...high hopes indeed! I'd like to grow my own hops as well. Time will tell...

To answer your thread, I don't drink every day. Usually it's three pints in three hours, then I'm done and doing something else. Weekday or weekend, makes no difference.

I generally have 0-5 each night. 5 usually on weekends and less on weekdays. My wife doesn't really drink so she notices me, but generally doesn't think it's a big deal.

I know I am not an alcoholic, I don't go to meetings. :cross:

Seriously, I drink 1-2 maybe 3-4 weeknights and a few on weekends. I have a rule that if I am doing anything "brew" related, I have to have at least a pint or a bottle. SWMBO takes a couple sips and she is woozy! More for me I guess.

Firstly, my consumption has increased a bit since I started homebrewing, even though I've had a keg of SNPA on tap for years.
I drink generally 3 a night on weekdays, usually multiple trips of 5-6 oz per trip. Then probably 15 total on the weekend.

48 oz. per day on average. However, I drink a protein shake for breakfast, a protein shake for lunch, 2 cans of tuna mid-afternoon, and no dinner. Beer has food value, but food has no beer value.

Turn the SWMBO into a SWMOM and your problem will be solved.

Is she worried about you getting drunk? or just about the effects of moderate drinking on your health? If she's worried about alcoholism tell her to go to some AA meetings if she wants to see some real alcoholics. Unless your experiences after those couple of pints are on the same planet as some of the stuff you hear at AA, there's no need to worry.

I drink probably 4-6 beers a night when I'm home. These can range anywhere from a 12oz Schlitz to an 11.2oz Rochefort 10 so, you know, the amount of drinks doesn't mean much to me; it's the level of alcohol. My last morning in Munich I woke up at 8 am and drank both my Rochefort 10s before breakfast then had 1 liter of Augustiner Edelstoff before lunch. That was a slow day.

While I love beer and wine, I actually don't drink too much. If I have a case of decent beer in my house, maybe one or two bottles a day at most during the week. If there's no decent beer in the house, I'll have a glass of wine if I have multiple bottles. If no decent beer, and no wine, I go without and it'll be a bit before I get around to buying more. On the weekends, it depends what's going on - I could have several bottles on a saturday or I could have nothing all weekend.

If I go out to a bar, I may have two or three pints on average; last night I think I had 4 pints over a 2.5 hour period.

Of course this is all before I started brewing my own. My first batch is in bottles and is conditioning, so it'll be ready in a couple weeks. I've started a pipeline that will give me on average a batch every two weeks. So that's two cases every two weeks, which is 1 case a week to drink divided amongst 3 people. So that's 8 beers a week per person in the house. That's a little over a bottle a day.

My pipeline is designed for 4-5 pints / week. At my current rate of consumption it is often dry.

After thinking about it I drink almost no homebrew on Saturdays or Sundays.

I notice that when people find out I homebrew they often say "you must drink a lot" But that's not the case I Drink maybe 1-2 pints a night. I just enjoy good beer.

I'm on a college student budget, so maybe a beer a night if I can justify buying a case for the next week or two. Weekends I'll have a few throughout the day, again if there's any beer in the fridge.

As for parties, I try and limit it to a six pack. It's all about the budget these days :(

This kind of post just makes me sad. What the heck has happened to the education system since I graduated 22 years ago? We never had to budget for beer. I went to a small private non-party university and even there we had three to five school or frat sponsored parties each week which served unlimited beer.

Heck, my freshman dorm had a monthly keg party where the 20 kegs of beer came out of our dorm allowance.

It's a sad state of affairs I tell you. No wonder this world is in such turmoil.

I know here in NY while I was in college they passed a regulation making it very difficult to get a keg with out a lot of money. Also if a party gets busted you loose a large deposit on the keg as the cops take it. So parties had to start using canned beer instead of kegs. That upped the price so that it cost more to throw a party and cost more to go to one. Now my friends and I realized loosing money on beer was ok because liquor was the money maker. So we still were able to do some parties.

Dorm sponsored parties would never happen now because only about a 1/3 of the students are of legal drinking age. I know at my college when the drinking age was 18 there was a bar on campus and I think you could even use your meal plan there. At least they do allow over 21s to bring alcohol onto campus some don't even allow that.

One 12-oz or one bomber a night. On the weekends, two to five a night, but I'll take a break the next night if I drink that much.

I keep telling my wife the best thing about haveing kegs is that I can have half a beer.

that I can have half a beer.

Some times I run the taps with a 4 oz sampler. With two barley wines, a huge farmerhouse ale and kegged wine in the cabinet, anything else would be dangerous.

NY was an 18 state when I was in college and there was a bar on campus. I remember a few 10 cent beer nights. Most of them, I don't remember.

Yes, I'm old enough to remember 10 cent beers.

NY was an 18 state when I was in college and there was a bar on campus. I remember a few 10 cent beer nights. Most of them, I don't remember.

Lived by SIUE for a while. 10 cent pitchers after a $5 cover and a live band.
Life was good. Yeah - I'm old.

-OCD

I am almost constantly kicking myself for not getting into home brewing when I was in school. I had all the necessary equipment since I was making wine. Would have done anything to have a keggorator next to my desk like I do now.

It always seems that the first reaction of man's wife when he begins home brewing is to remark about how they are turning into an alcoholic.

When my wife asks "Your drinking again!? Didn't you drink last night?" I say "Well yes, but I have to see how the conditioning of my beer is coming along."

Mmm yes, this stout is coming along nicely! Now let me check that pale ale...

I mean what good brewer doesn't check the progress of thier beer?

Usually have 1-2 12oz beers 5 days a week. Three is about my comfortable limit. Once in a while I'll drink more on the weekends if I'm out with friends or at a party, but overindulging affects me much more than it used to. I went to a party last weekend and had 8 or 9 beers during the night and woke up the next morning with quite the hangover.

Some times I run the taps with a 4 oz sampler. With two barley wines, a huge farmerhouse ale and kegged wine in the cabinet, anything else would be dangerous.

They still happen. You just have to grow a pair of tits and be able to drink domestic. There are still lots of coin beer nites (aka date rape nites) here in OKC for the wimminz.

i'm officially an eveyday beer drinker now. as with most, for M-Th, i have 1 at dinner, sometimes 2, rarely 3. F-Sat can depend on if grilling or a party with friends, but i'd say an average of 5-7 for fri and sat.. 4-6 on sunday.

They still happen. You just have to grow a pair of tits and be able to drink domestic. There are still lots of coin beer nites (aka date rape nites) here in OKC for the wimminz.

LOL Wasn't there a commercial where 3 guys dressed up like women for Ladies Night?

Ga was 18 when I moved there for college and then when I turned 19 it moved to 19 and then when I turned 21 it changed to 21 along with everyone else.

The backlash on the drinking age did not fully affect the campus until I was a senior and they started eliminating most of the school sponsored events. But seriously, before that, our school subsidized all of the expense for campus club parties and half of the expense for I think it was 2 parties each year at each fraternity. Plus they had a couple campus wide parties along with a free concert. Awesome stuff - I remember the Bangles and Little River Band. Yea, major suck.

But we also had Sting, and Elvis Costello, and REM a bunch of times, and Kansas, and Jimmy Buffet a couple times, and of course, America. Or should America be in the major suck category?

really depends for me, but on average, i'll drink 4 or so glasses of homebrew out of my small german beer glass... then i might have a few non-homebrew crap beers, or not. weekend nights are pretty wide open on the taps though. i have a buddy who usually stops by after work around 10pm to talk beer and sample the latest offerings. recently, my 'light' beer consumption has gone way down though as after 3 or so glasses of HB i'm ready to eat dinner and chill/hit the sack, not drink more.

Geez, am I the only person on here who doesn't get boatloads of cr*p from my wife about brewing? She doesn't like alot of the beers (read: hoppy) that I brew, but she does like a porter or stout or belgian. She doesn't drink that much, but she is extremely supportive of my brewing. She encouraged me to make a nice kegerator for upstairs. She asked why I didn't have a nitrogen dispense for stouts--and bought one. She never complains about me taking 5 hours out of a day to brew.

Is there alot of hyperbole about "SWMBOs" here or is my experience really out of the ordinary? :confused:

Geez, am I the only person on here who doesn't get boatloads of cr*p from my wife about brewing? She doesn't like alot of the beers (read: hoppy) that I brew, but she does like a porter or stout or belgian. She doesn't drink that much, but she is extremely supportive of my brewing. She encouraged me to make a nice kegerator for upstairs. She asked why I didn't have a nitrogen dispense for stouts--and bought one. She never complains about me taking 5 hours out of a day to brew.

Is there alot of hyperbole about "SWMBOs" here or is my experience really out of the ordinary? :confused:

It's about half and half. Some of our wives barely tolerate our obsession.

Naw dude. My wife is cool as **** too.

My wife is the same. Even though I have an upright freezer that holds three kegs and the chest kegerator that also has three she bought me a ready built one that will hold two corny's. When we were at the store she was like "Ohhh this one is portable we can take it with us camping to parties and drink real beer" I made the right choice 28 years ago .

oh and I will have 2-3 pints a night. I have always had a few beers after work since I was in my teens .

Back