How much do you drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chode720

Reaction score
I've read other threads on this, but searched and couldnt find anything.....

Anyways, I was curious as to how much you drink, on average. I usually have a pint or 2 an evening. My SWMBO worries about me and with how much I drinkk now that I am brewing. I know that I'm not an alcoholic b/c I care more about the flavor in the beer and not the alcohol, and if I could get the same flavors in NA beer, I would prob brew that.

So, i did some research for SWMBO and found that moderate drinking (1-2 per day for a guy) is good and can be healthy, but she still worries. Like I said, I usually have 1-2 beers a night and then more on weekends. Does this sound about normal for the average homebrewer???

:tank:

Psh that's nothing, she should calm down. I try not to drink more than 1 or 2 on week nights cause of the calories mainly, but on the weekend its all out with 10-15+ a night and 6ish on sunday night (family guy drinking game, woooo!)

I agree with Falcor - during the week I usally just have one in the evening with supper or while relaxing watching TV. I try to stay in decent shape so I try to watch waht I eat/drink during the week. Over the weekend usually go through about 20 beers. Would say usually drink between 18-24 beers a week. Usually closer to the 24 mark lol

Cheers

During the week I'll pull tasters for drinking if I'm going to have anything. I'd say 2 or 3 days a week I'll have between 2 and 4 4oz tasters. On a normal weekend day (read: no party) I'll usually have 2-3 12ounce pours. I also normally have 1 or 2 cocktails or evening bourbons a week.

If we have a party, I'll drink maybe 4 or 5 pints.

1-2 glasses, usually not full pints. Weekends are not much different unless there is a party, then look out! jk.

I am confident I am not an alcoholic.

I'd say I average 2-3 a weeknight and 3-4 on weekends. My wife worries about the same things. Although it is much harder for her to keep track if you have beer on tap.

it sounds like SWMBO is being the typical american. thinking that one beer a day makes you an alcoholic is absurd.

tell her to take a trip to europe. if you DON'T have alcohol at every meal people will want to know what is wrong with you.

I average 2 12 oz brews or 4 oz glasses of wine per day, 7 days a week. The challenge is deciding which two each day! Probably the most I have drunk in a single day over the past 10 years was 5 drinks.

it sounds like SWMBO is being the typical american. thinking that one beer a day makes you an alcoholic is absurd.

Agreed. Thats what I was thinking. Beer gets such a bad rap. If I had a glass of wine a day, it wouldnt matter at all!

I average 2 12 oz brews or 4 oz glasses of wine per day, 7 days a week. The challenge is deciding which two each day!

Yes, that is really the challenge. Beer tastes sooo good! I love having a variety of styles on hand and when I go to the fridge, I can never decide which I want!

2 or 3 pints a day, no matter if it's weekend or not, party or not I drink more or less the same.

My girl drinks the same, so we never argue about that. :D

There are studies telling you that a pint a day will prevent certain diseases (though overindulging regularly can help cause them), and others saying the same amount is bad. I say f it and try to have a drink (usually a beer, but sometimes whisky) a night. In Fermenting Revolution (not that great a book, but the health benefits chapter was good) the author cites a study that says it's not really the amount but the frequency, which is why I go for one a day (two if I'm feeling frisky, more if it's a weekend or I'm brewing, etc). Though this week I've been kind of busy so I didn't have any :)() because it'd have been sucking it down for the sake of having a drink, which seemed like a waste.

I drink one or two pints a day. I'm not an alcoholic, but I sure do need my beer after a long day of work and when I have grad school at night. I start to drool when I get about a mile away from home. I think my wife understands it's part of my unwinding routine.

I would say 1 to 2 pints a night also, but really it is almost always 2. One with dinner and one at 9 o'clock. I try to stop eating and drinking at 9.

2-3 pints a day, (trying to get that down to 1-2, but it's so tough when it's on tap!). I've definitely gone up in consumption since homebrewing/kegging...I used to have 3 bottles a night, and then stop because of the shame factor of 3 bottles lined up on the endtable.

Now, with the keg, and with pint glasses, I find myself hitting the 3 pint mark easily if I don't watch it, (1 pint when I get home, 1 during cooking dinner, 1 during eating dinner)....

SWMBO is getting nervous too, but hell, most of my beer right now is in the 4% range, so I figure I'm a "light beer" drinker after all :D

I am trying to cut down to 2-3 pints on a Friday and 2-3 on a Saturday. I am more concerned than my wife is because I am getting super fat, and the money I spend on malt makes it difficult for me to afford bigger clothes.

For whatever reason whenever I drink I need to crush pretzals. I am up ~10-15# over the year since I began homebrewing.

since homebrewing, I actually consume less, maybe 1 pint per night sometimes none, I really enjoy my beer, and I want it to last! so a keg actually gets to condition now! first keg went real quick, and the last pint was the best, so now it is more of a self imposed limit so it can get to the last pint goodness on the second pour. (first one is a baseline after kegging)

mebby 1-2 beers twice a week during the work week, but Friday night I usually throw down and kill a sixer plus a nightcap or two of scotch or mixed drink. Saturday, meh, depends, sometimes nothing, sometimes if its a day where Im cooking, out, another sixer. Sunday, unless its a brewday, usually nothing.

I don't see 1-2 as alcoholic at all. The only reason I cut down was because I try to stay fit and noticed 2 beers a day was slowly turning my gut into a keg. I keep it to 1 at most now for the weekdays. Weekends are my time to unwind and I don't even count.

I am pretty consistently in the 2-3 per night range. If there is a party on the weekend or a couple of good football games, I'll drink a bit more.
My workday starts early and therefore I'm off around 3:30. I try to exercise every day, then get into the beers around 6 and cut myself off at 8:30.

Your swmbo needs to rdwahahb.

Bt really I heard alcoholism has less to do with how much and more to do with if you can stop drinking when you want. You could be an alcoholic and only drink once a week. But when you start drinking you can't stop yourself.

I prevent my swmbo from wondering by topping off my current pint before it is finished. That was I "only filled it once."

my SWMBO mentioned this too, I have 1-2 a night and more on the weekend, I usually skip 1-2 days a week too, not always, but some weeks. This seems very reasonable but it seems people that don't like the taste of beer don't understand that this is in moderation.

3 nights a week I have a 22oz of homebrew, and on the weekends I might have 1-2 of those on Sat or Sunday. If I'm brewing though, I'll put back 2 22oz homebrews during the process.

Had a duplicate post - so instead of wasting space I figured I'd go ahead and answer the question.
Averaging sucks because then it just looks like 2 drinks regularly. Sometime I drink nothing all week other times it's 3-4 a night.

-OCD

You could be an alcoholic and only drink once a week.

I got a problem with that statement. If you can go almost a week without drinking - how are you an alcoholic? Irresponsible, lack self control, binge drinker, "a drunk"
all describe it better than alcoholic - I think.

I know the AA people still consider themselves alcoholics after 10 years with no drink. But that's not what we're talking about here. (preemptive)

-OCD

1-2, 12oz pours weeknights. 6 or so per day on weekends. My doctor told me it is ok to drink 1-2 per day. I might have fudged the numbers a little bit on the weekend conversation. LOL

Yes, let's make a quick (and non-hijacking) distinction between alcoholism and drinking habits. Alcoholism is, essentially, an addiction. It is not a standard by which you can judge your drinking habits and feel you are doing well. You can be an alcoholic and not drink at all. One does not need to be an alcoholic to have unhealthy or even dangerous drinking habits. What makes for healthy or unhealthy drinking still seems up for debate (although not in this thread).

I don't usually drink at all during the week, unless I go out. On weekends, it's anyone's guess how much I drink. I could go all weekend without a drink (though not likely), I could have a couple, or I could let it all hang out and end up howling at the moon.

TL

< HiJacking

I got a problem with that statement. If you can go almost a week without drinking - how are you an alcoholic? Irresponsible, lack self control, binge drinker, "a drunk" all describe it better than alcoholic - I think.

I know the AA people still consider themselves alcoholics after 10 years with no drink. But that's not what we're talking about here. (preemptive)

-OCD

Quite the contrary. Being an alcoholic does not merely facilitate simply the act of drinking alcohol excessively, but more so the addictive mindset of having an urge to indulge in a hyperactive desire to drink alcohol. In other words, your mind is what makes you an alcoholic, not your actions.

I back this up with years of psychology study as well as having plenty of family who were alcoholics. I caught on to what made them so early on, and went a different path.

HiJacking />

< HiJacking

Quite the contrary. Being an alcoholic does not merely facilitate simply the act of drinking alcohol excessively, but more so the addictive mindset of having an urge to indulge in a hyperactive desire to drink alcohol. In other words, your mind is what makes you an alcoholic, not your actions.

I back this up with years of psychology study as well as having plenty of family who were alcoholics. I caught on to what made them so early on, and went a different path.

HiJacking />

Agreed, its more the mindset that how much. If you need alcohol to function and it interferes with your daily activities, then I would consider that alcoholism.

A pint each day is normal for me. Some times 2 or none at all.
They are often split between 2-3 different brews depending on the pipeline.
Weekends are about the same.
If they had no alcohol at all I think I would enjoy them just as much. Hell, that would be an excuse to drink even more!
I love beer for the taste of beer, not being drunk. But occasionally it's a nice bonus :)

As has been posted, what I was eluding to was not the amount of consumption, but the ability to control it.

If you choose to drink until you cannot function that is normal. If you have a drink and can't stop until you either run out or pass out, then you may have a problem.

A good tell tail sign is if you or someone you know gets really upset when more alcohol isn't available. I mean angry not disappointed.

Flippin' amateurs.

I go through 3 to 5 a night, but not every night. Some nights I just don't feel like having any. On average I'll put a cornie away every two weeks.

Back